At what age do ducks begin laying? Are banties different?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by asher, Aug 27, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I have seven (well 8, but one is still a youngster) bantam ducks, born around the end of April so around 4 months old right now. I was curious when I can expect them to begin laying.

Do they only lay specific seasons like geese do? Do bantam ducks lay later than standards? (That seems like a dumb question! heh)

I have 2 drakes and 5 ducks, but one of the drakes will be joining my neighbors two ducks that I gave her shortly.

2. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    My Khakis started at 22 wks, the Cayugas a full month later.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My call ducks don't lay until the spring after they've hatched.....when they're almost a year old. Mine start laying in March and usually quit by the end of june/beginning of July. I do think it depends on the weather where they are tho.

4. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    My ducks didn't lay until the spring after they were hatched.

5. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    My Rouen started laying at about 8 months and she layed her first eggs in December of 07 and then about every 3 weeks or so from then on. She unforntunly died in June but she had 8 eggs in her nest at the time. So we are waiting now to see how many of our young 5 month old females will lay eggs.... Looking forward to it. Good luck with you ducks...[​IMG] I've never seen bantam ducks post a picture if you can I'm curous [​IMG]

6. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Here's some of my call ducks...which are classified as bantams.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Call's are so cute and pudgy looking! hehe I miss my call's, but don't miss the noise. My australian spotted girls are still noisy, but not nearly as loud.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I pm'd you Sara.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by