at what age do geese start laying

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chixie, Nov 24, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I am just wondering at what age do geese start laying...I am still trying to figure out what gender my lone goose is? I beleive it is about 8 months old...

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Geese only lay in the spring/summer, so most lay the first spring/summer after they'ved matured, I believe.

3. feathersandfluff

feathersandfluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually about 9 months old is when they are old enough to start laying. We are having such strange weather right now that it has the geese all confused on their "laying" patterns.

Asebastopolsselect.con

4. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Most of my geese have started laying in the fall of their hatch year. Then they stopped during winter and started in spring again. My theory is it has something to do with fall and spring have similar daylight hours and their equipment is just ready for laying eggs so they just start laying.

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    thanks everyone... we call him/her mother goose... she is the flock(ducks and chickens) protector... I am the only human that can go in the pen with out him/her chasing ... I am hoping for a girl... next year I will be getting more geese so it can have its own flock

6. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    My little gaggle of 1 1/2yr old chinese whites are averaging about an egg/day. Yeah, 9 months to start is about right although I think 11 months had about the best eggs for keeping.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Are you sure? My Chinas each layed a egg EVERY OTHER DAY!I wonder if I was doing something wrong?

8. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Quote:Are you sure? My Chinas each layed a egg EVERY OTHER DAY!I wonder if I was doing something wrong?

ok, now it is freezing here, so am lucky now for every other day. Kinda like they stopped all of a sudden.... not sure

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by