at what age do roosters begin to crow???

bassfishrman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
I have 6 mix breed chickens that are almost 4 months old. 2 of them have larger and darker red cones than the others. I suspected they were roosters, but haven't heard them attempt to crow. When do roosters normally begin to crow?

mine started at about 9 weeks. But you have to know what you're hearing, sometimes they don't sound exactly like a rooster at first. They need practice.
lol.png

It varies. I've had a few that crowed around 7 weeks, some at 4 months. Out of all the roosters I have had, the earliest attempt at crowing was 3 days old! It was a little brrrp, brrrrp noise coming from the outstretched neck of my Jersey Giant chick. He didn't start his real crowing until he was about 4.5 months old.
Stephanie

Mine started crowing at about 3 months!mayb he was a late starter..now he does it all the time!!thankfully no neighbours hav complained yet:S

I have what I believe to be a Golden Campine Roo' and he started crowing at 3 weeks of age. It's not quite a "crow" - it actually sounds like tires squealing!
lol.png

TJ ~:>

Mine start around 5am...

Actually, with about 15 roos, only one really crows (and badly, but still better than we'd expected HER to be able to). The moment they come out of the coop, that's when they suddenly start fighting each other (mostly staring contests), and crowing. Not too bad yet, but it helps us see who goes first when the culling begins....

Bhadrika

Back
Top Bottom