At what age do roosters crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknduck, May 28, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I ordered all hens but just curious what age the roos start to crow.

2. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I have found that it varies. I have had a very young white leghorn, like two month old try to imitate an older roo that was running loose.
    Then I have had a delaware that didn't crow until he was 6 months old. Most of mine are doing it for sure when they start loving my ladies.

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I know this thread is over a month old, but I thought I would share we have a Blue Marans Roo that started crowing at 6 or 7 weeks old! Big dark red waddles and comb. His crow is the real deal three notes and all and a deeper sound. Heck we have 12 week old pure Ameraucana roos that don't make a peep yet. This little Marans guy is something else.

ON

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    My little SLW stinker started it this week at 8 and 1/2 weeks old. I had just come home from work and heard a frightening noise outside. I thought something was killing one of the babies in the backyard. Looked out the kitchen window and it was the little roo, sitting in a pot of herbs and trying to crow. He did it like 5 times in a row. He sounded more like someone was strangling him...

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    One of my OEGB's was crowing a bit at about a month old.We had them in basement as I hatched them Xmas.DH was watching tv one night and I had left the door open doing lundry.He was Like what the heck is that noise??.He was the first to roost on the brooder box side too.

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    My cochin and delaware started crowing the same day at 10 weeks.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    One of my big Brahma boys only started making an unearthly noise at 8 months, and two months later he is still making the same strangled, croaky sound that passes for crowing. And he does it VERY often.

Sandie

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My welsummer rooster started crowing at 4 days old.

9. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:WOW!

10. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    one of my easter eggers started crowing at 4 weeks. It was an awful squeak-y sort of sound. All the other chicks in the coop would stop what they were doing, lift their heads and run like the dickens for cover! [​IMG] two weeks later all the other chickens are still terrified of this rooster's crows! Too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by