At what age do you turn off heat lamp?

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
Our chicks are now two weeks old. We have them in the brooder and the brooder is in our living room which is about 72-75 degrees all day long and all night long. Do you think I still need the heat lamp on? I was afraid I might fry them.

They are getting a lot more feathers.

Any thoughts?
smile.png

What mama kate said, plus...
They can go outside at anytime as long as your coop is draft free and predator proof and you are able to keep it at the temp. needed per their age. Not everybody broods chick in the house. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think the fact that alot of people believe they have to be brooded in the house discourages them from owning or adding to their flock.
I didn't brood my chicks in house and won't brood any future chicks in the house. As much as we love our chooks they are livestock. In the good ol' days mama hen hatched the chicks in the coop and they were raised with her as part of the flock.

Guidelines are just what the new poultry keeper needs, to deal with the panic of raising babies, but as you gain experience and knowledge, you'll find your own comfort level. I'll be starting my chicks in the garage this year, (NEVER AGAIN IN THE HOUSE!) and moving them to an outdoor brooder/tractor/grow out coop as soon as the weather cooperates enough for me to move and convert my green house! Come on winter... give it up already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The usual plan is to start them about 95 degrees and then cool them (by raising the bulb) 5 degrees per wk til they are about 4 weeks old. At that age they can handle room temperature.

Thanks for the encouragement, it is just what I needed. My chicks are a little over 3 weeks, feathered out pretty well. I am in No CA and it has been in the 40ies at night but 70-80 in the day. My chicks are flying all over the Brooder and seem like they need more room. My coop is ready to go and I will put the Brinsea out there so hopefully all will go well! thanks again I just needed a push!

Guidelines are just what the new poultry keeper needs, to deal with the panic of raising babies, but as you gain experience and knowledge, you'll find your own comfort level. I'll be starting my chicks in the garage this year, (NEVER AGAIN IN THE HOUSE!) and moving them to an outdoor brooder/tractor/grow out coop as soon as the weather cooperates enough for me to move and convert my green house! Come on winter... give it up already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have learned SO much from this forum but nothing like DOING it! There are some things I would do differently as well. Last night they stayed out in the coop I checked the temp several times in the night 52 degrees and they never went under the heat plate.....Acted the same as when they were in the house in the Brooder, no crisis LOL The most rewarding thing is to see them act like Chickens! Scratching, dust bathing, flopping around....It is great!

My chicks are 6 weeks today and they have been out in their permanent coop since 4 weeks. Brooded all 44 in 50sf of brooder space in the garage and they were going outside daily (in nice warm, dry weather when I was home) at one week old. By 4 weeks, the weather was hot enough that we could turn the light off and let them stay together in the coop. They are almost entirely fully feathered--"zippered up" in the chest area with only a few bits of down on their heads. They are loving life out in the coop, run & electrified poultry pasture we have set up for them. SO MUCH easier having them out there! I just fill the indoor and outdoor gallon waterers, the big stainless steel feeder, the grit, and open the coop door. I've been adding fresh wood chips every few days, Sweet PDZ, and Diatomaceous Earth. So far, we are smell-free, bug-free, and plenty warm here in upstate, NY! Thanking the weather for a warm & dry September!! These are some SPOILED chicks whose favorite roost lately seems to me my arm or my leg when I sit down in the pasture with them on my 5-gallon-bucket! I feel like a "real" farmer these days (and am getting teased MERCILESSLYby colleagues and friends! Oh well--it's good fun and it's not bothering anyone!)

Sarah

Mine are just over 2 weeks old, they like their coop to be between 80-85 to sleep, but they have NO problem going outside when it's in the 70's. They are smart enough to go back inside if they get cool.

It's going to storm so it's quite warm outside tonight. I'm a little afraid they might fry tonight. I'll have to think of some way to make sure they don't.

Back
Top Bottom