At what age should corid not be needed

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
I see mixed messages here on corid and Coccidiosis and age of hens. Does treating with corid hurt older hens like my 9 year olds? If I have so many mixed ages… 2, 4, 7, 9 if the 2 year olds need treatment does it hurt the older ones? Also I see some folks on here doing maintenance doses in spring and every so many weeks others say not necessary? Thoughts? Same with worming some do as a course of action and prevention? Some do every spring. I suspected worms this year and did safe guard goat wormer. I will never do in spring again if I can help it. The amount of eggs given for my friends compost was a sin. Thoughts?

I've never heard of it not being good for older hens, so I'm also interested to see what others have to say on that. As for preventative treating and deworming in the springtime, it's really just up to you. That will obviously help to get rid of any problems before they start, but I've never done treatments like that and I've never had a problem with cocci or worms in my flock. Alot of people disagree with this, and that's okay, but apple cider vinegar and pumpkin seeds work as dewormers in a chickens body. I give my birds acv every couple of weeks in their water and then in the falltime they get all the pumpkin seeds they want. And I just have to point out that if you have to throw their eggs away after a treatment, or if it's not safe for older birds, then it's really probably not good for them, and you, at all. In my opinion, putting acv in their water once every couple of weeks is a good preventative that doesn't take much effort. Like I said, I've never had a problem with worms in my flock before. Acv will also improve their appetite, feather quality, egg quality, and just their overall health. Just something to think about!

I've never heard of it not being good for older hens, so I'm also interested to see what others have to say on that. As for preventative treating and deworming in the springtime, it's really just up to you. That will obviously help to get rid of any problems before they start, but I've never done treatments like that and I've never had a problem with cocci or worms in my flock. Alot of people disagree with this, and that's okay, but apple cider vinegar and pumpkin seeds work as dewormers in a chickens body. I give my birds acv every couple of weeks in their water and then in the falltime they get all the pumpkin seeds they want. And I just have to point out that if you have to throw their eggs away after a treatment, or if it's not safe for older birds, then it's really probably not good for them, and you, at all. In my opinion, putting acv in their water once every couple of weeks is a good preventative that doesn't take much effort. Like I said, I've never had a problem with worms in my flock before. Acv will also improve their appetite, feather quality, egg quality, and just their overall health. Just something to think about!
Thanks. There too some on here think acv doesn’t do anything others (a lot of others do) I guess like anything we have to make our own decisions based on both sides of the information. What amount do you use? Do they like it or avoid it? How often? Other water sources or sole source? I have heard pumpkin is a natural worm prevention. I Give whole pumpkin in season and canned in winter never thought about seeds. Don’t know how often to do that either. Why do you do the seeds in fall? Aren’t worms more so in summer? Or is the treatment long lasting. I too haven’t had any problems with worms in 9 years but had some symptoms this year (added some rescue hens) although quarantined my guess is they brought them. Diarrhea gone since treating except one new one still has it.

Treated for coccidiosis 2x in 9 years symptoms were diarrhea and ruffled feathers. Some isolation among the flock.

Thanks. There too some on here think acv doesn’t do anything others (a lot of others do) I guess like anything we have to make our own decisions based on both sides of the information. What amount do you use? Do they like it or avoid it? How often? Other water sources or sole source? I have heard pumpkin is a natural worm prevention. I Give whole pumpkin in season and canned in winter never thought about seeds. Don’t know how often to do that either. Why do you do the seeds in fall? Aren’t worms more so in summer? Or is the treatment long lasting. I too haven’t had any problems with worms in 9 years but had some symptoms this year (added some rescue hens) although quarantined my guess is they brought them. Diarrhea gone since treating except one new one still has it.

Treated for coccidiosis 2x in 9 years symptoms were diarrhea and ruffled feathers. Some isolation among the flock.
They can't really taste the acv I don't think. The recommended dose is 1 tablespoon to a gallon, but I just pour some into their water container. I do it once every 1-2 weeks. The acv water is all they get for those couple of days. They get the pumpkin in the fall cause that's when they're ready to be harvested in the garden. Then I'll save and dry some seeds for later on. That's pretty good that you've only dealt with it 2 times in 9 years!

Back
Top Bottom