Corid for Coccidiosis

@Eggcessive Would you happen to know what the POWDER dosage of Corid for chickens would be? I won't make it to a farm store before leaving for the holidays and wanted to start at least a coccidastat level of treatment as suggested by my vet. But he didn't seem to know the dosage since he mainly deals with goats. Not a lot of options around here. Seeing foamy yellow poops and occasional bloody ones. We already dewormed, and several lice treatments after we brought in new hens the previous month. I didn't get dewormer down the roosters on 2nd try because of tidbitting and general choas, but I don't think it's them. They are all quite healthy looking though one has a cough, which I'll ask about sometime later if it continues. Anyway, I just cannot seem to find a good powder dosage anywhere. I need something I can understand like how to measure it in teaspoons or fractions of a teaspoon. Thank you!

@Eggcessive Would you happen to know what the POWDER dosage of Corid for chickens would be? I won't make it to a farm store before leaving for the holidays and wanted to start at least a coccidastat level of treatment as suggested by my vet. But he didn't seem to know the dosage since he mainly deals with goats. Not a lot of options around here. Seeing foamy yellow poops and occasional bloody ones. We already dewormed, and several lice treatments after we brought in new hens the previous month. I didn't get dewormer down the roosters on 2nd try because of tidbitting and general choas, but I don't think it's them. They are all quite healthy looking though one has a cough, which I'll ask about sometime later if it continues. Anyway, I just cannot seem to find a good powder dosage anywhere. I need something I can understand like how to measure it in teaspoons or fractions of a teaspoon. Thank you!
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For deworming, what did you use? If you are orally dosing your birds with dewormer, go out early while they are still roosting, grab one off the roost, dose that bird, set him/her on the floor, move to the next. This way you are not chasing birds, dealing with chaos or rooster tidbitting.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For deworming, what did you use? If you are orally dosing your birds with dewormer, go out early while they are still roosting, grab one off the roost, dose that bird, set him/her on the floor, move to the next. This way you are not chasing birds, dealing with chaos or rooster tidbitting.
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks so much. We did 2 rounds of Ivermectin that were prescribed for Lice 2 weeks apart. We were still seeing lice so then we did Elector PSP (I think we're still seeing lice, but don't even want to think about it in the middle of winter and I'm way currently). Maybe the Iveremectin addressed some of the worms as well, but nevertheless, we also recently did a pea sized dose of Fenbendazole paste for each bird 10 days apart (minus the roos on the 2nd round as mentioned).
I understand what you're saying about taking them off the roost. It's a good suggestion. Unfortunately it's hard for me to get up before they do since I often work nights. My partner usually does the morning routine, but is not good at administering meds. It always falls to me. I was so happy to find just one medication that they happily accepted, which they did with the fenbendazole on little pieces of pork. But I think next time I'll separate the roosters and give them them dewormer when there are no hens around.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks so much. We did 2 rounds of Ivermectin that were prescribed for Lice 2 weeks apart. We were still seeing lice so then we did Elector PSP (I think we're still seeing lice, but don't even want to think about it in the middle of winter and I'm way currently). Maybe the Iveremectin addressed some of the worms as well, but nevertheless, we also recently did a pea sized dose of Fenbendazole paste for each bird 10 days apart (minus the roos on the 2nd round as mentioned).
I understand what you're saying about taking them off the roost. It's a good suggestion. Unfortunately it's hard for me to get up before they do since I often work nights. My partner usually does the morning routine, but is not good at administering meds. It always falls to me. I was so happy to find just one medication that they happily accepted, which they did with the fenbendazole on little pieces of pork. But I think next time I'll separate the roosters and give them them dewormer when there are no hens around.
Ivermectin can be effective for Mites since they feast on blood, Lice mainly feed on skin, dander, etc., so they would not be that impacted by Ivermectin. Elector PSP is supposed to be good for lice and mites, read up on the manufacturer's label to see how to use it, I've heard that if it's been mixed for a good while, it loses it's effectiveness, so it seems it needs to be used right away. Also cleaning out housing of bedding, then treating both birds and housing can help get rid of parasites.

Ivermectin might still treat Roundworms if you gave the Correct Dose. Most all medications are dosed by weight including Ivermectin and Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole). "Pea Size" is a very old method of measuring medication.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Ivermectin can be effective for Mites since they feast on blood, Lice mainly feed on skin, dander, etc., so they would not be that impacted by Ivermectin. Elector PSP is supposed to be good for lice and mites, read up on the manufacturer's label to see how to use it, I've heard that if it's been mixed for a good while, it loses it's effectiveness, so it seems it needs to be used right away. Also cleaning out housing of bedding, then treating both birds and housing can help get rid of parasites.

Ivermectin might still treat Roundworms if you gave the Correct Dose. Most all medications are dosed by weight including Ivermectin and Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole). "Pea Size" is a very old method of measuring medication.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard/Panacur (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
Thank you. I guess since we only did again after 10 days we probably didn't treat most of the worms they could have. We used fresh Elector PSP and didn't use it afterwards. I bought a small amount and didn't use it again because the directions said void after 24 hours. So would need to buy a fresh supply I suppose. I'm wondering about the impact of doing any of these treatments in winter. It's pretty harsh already with temperatures in the low 20s at night.

If I had an infestation of internal or external parasites, I would treat my birds.

In cold weather it would be most sensible to use a Permethrin based poultry dust instead of a spray to treat for lice/mites.

As for deworming, that can be done anytime regardless of weather.

If I had an infestation of internal or external parasites, I would treat my birds.

In cold weather it would be most sensible to use a Permethrin based poultry dust instead of a spray to treat for lice/mites.

As for deworming, that can be done anytime regardless of weather.
Thanks. What about Corid in the water? Is that fine during cold weather? I had to go away for Thanksgiving and wasn't able to get started on it yet so wanted to start treatment tomorrow. Moreover, I'm seeing one of the new hens that brought lice has a prolapsed vent that comes and goes. I'll probably start a new thread on that. Ugh....

Well, I thought I had noticed something before but then when I got closer I just saw poop. But today I got full confirmation. It happened after she was mated. The prolapse came out of her vent and then went back in. She's an Azur and very skittish so it's hard to get photos from behind since she skitters away, but got this. You can zoom in. She's always been rather shabby since we got her in August. Although maybe she was better actually now that I look at pics, yikes. I was so hoping these birds would improve with the treatments. The vet is so nice, but a small fortune since they're over an hour away and I just really don't think they know chickens. Other livestock yes. Apparently our little Azur was bred to lay an enormous egg. Poor thing lays her blue egg daily even now in winter. After reading about prolapses I'm thinking that could be one of the causes. I was assuming she was one of the ones with a higher load of Coccidia referenced on this thread because she does have some yellow foamy droppings now and then, though now I'm not sure whose whose. Could be all kinds of stuff going with her.

Attachments

• winnie prolapse.jpeg
    winnie prolapse.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 5
  • prolapse.jpeg
    prolapse.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom