At what age to chickens start laying?

Our chicks were hatched in early May and early June.  I got my first egg the first week of January.  My second hen started last week.  So out of 14 hens we're at 34 weeks for first egg and as the others start laying they will be older than that.

Reading on here last summer I was prepared by 18 weeks to start seeing eggs because of other's early layers.  Not the case here.  

We live in WA so the winters are very limited with light.  But after not using any artificial light and kind of giving up on any winter eggs I do believe that they will lay when they lay.  I have 2 laying and 3 more squatting out of the 14 so everyday will get closer to more eggs!

34 weeks? What breed is that?

Each chicken is an individual, on an individual schedule for her body. They'll start laying anywhere from 16 weeks to 30+ weeks or more, depending on breed, strain (such as hatchery or breeder stock) and amount of light. I've had Red Sex Links lay their first egg at 16 weeks (too young, have to watch them for problems later on) and two Brown Leghorns that didn't lay their first eggs until more than a year after they hatched.

Mutts like Easter Eggers are particularly hard to predict. I've had EEs lay their first egg at 18 weeks, and some not lay until 34 weeks, and everything in between.

If light hours are decreasing as pullets come into lay, that will hold them back until the light starts to increase once again after the winter solstice.

Buff Orpington. But I also have EE, black australorp, light brahmas, wyandottes, Ameracauna and welsummer.

Mine have just laid late. The summer was very warm and we have light until 10pm. Soon as fall hits we're dark at 4. And its been pretty cold. I think it was a drastic seasonal change (it is for me) so it might have affected them.

Buff Orpington. But I also have EE, black australorp, light brahmas, wyandottes, Ameracauna and welsummer.

Mine have just laid late. The summer was very warm and we have light until 10pm. Soon as fall hits we're dark at 4. And its been pretty cold. I think it was a drastic seasonal change (it is for me) so it might have affected them.

I see, I had a buff orp that started laying at about 18 weeks, however I got her in Feb so she would be laying in summer and have a good routine by the time the days got shorter. I just bought my new batch 2 weeks ago-I time this specifically so they will be good layers before the days get short. I often wonder why most people get their chicks in Spring (April) because then they really just begin laying when the weather gets cold and the daylight diminshes.

My White leghorn just laid her first egg. And I am not sure that both white Leghorns are not laying. I found 2 eggs in the nesting box this morning at 4:45 am. One was ripped and opened, the shell was paper thin, The other was thin shelled too and both were small, But I have eggs!

Back
Top Bottom