at what age to guineas start breeding??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Ducklove334, May 16, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I had thought that because they grow alot like chickens, they'd age sexually like them too.

our pair of guineas are 11 weeks old, and ARE a male and female, well today during freerange earlier this afternoon, I cought Zag, the male mounting Zig, the female.I'm not sure if they were actually breeding, or doing the practice thing, like ducks do?, I wanna hatch some keets when they start laying eggs, cause I want more guineas, and it's cheaper than buying more LOL.

but I wanted to know if what I saw was REALLY what they were doing, and if they were when do they start laying???

first time guinea owner here LOL

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for posting this! I was wondering the same thing today. My male has started really getting protective of the female, so I figure that it would be any time. Mine's about 12-13 weeks old.

Waiting for an answer, with you! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. Munchies

Munchies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Guinea fowl only start laying eggs in the spring so usually you have to have your keets one winter before you get fertile eggs.

White guinea fowl are usually the first to lay eggs, IMO.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I got my guinea keets at the end of July. They started laying eggs sometime in March. So they were about 8 months old. I've not had great fertility yet, I'm hoping things will improve soon.

5. Munchies

Apr 23, 2009
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Quote:Their first year, call yourself lucky if you get 50% or more that are fertile. They need a little more practice before they get it right.

6. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:Really? Wow. I am so glad the Mods separated out all the different birds into their own boards. It's been so much easier to find useful info now! Thanks. [​IMG]

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I know! I love the new guinea section!!! [​IMG] Thanks Mods!

I was hoping to get some babies this year from them, but I guess I'll have to wait. [​IMG]

Shelly

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

If you put them in a pen you will get better fertility we have found. When they are ready to start mating you will see them start to chase each other around, sometimes we will have 5 or 6 all in a line running after each other. "guinea races"

Steve in NC

9. Munchies

Apr 23, 2009
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Guineas will usually choose just one partner for life. If you free range them you will notice as they spread out they will tend to go in pairs and if the male ventures out of sight of the female she will "buckwheat until he gets close again.

A female that is being mated puts her head to the ground wings outspread to balance herself as the male climbs on her back. The chasing is usually establishing or re-establishing pecking order.

Last edited: May 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by