at what age to guineas start breeding??

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
I had thought that because they grow alot like chickens, they'd age sexually like them too.

our pair of guineas are 11 weeks old, and ARE a male and female, well today during freerange earlier this afternoon, I cought Zag, the male mounting Zig, the female.I'm not sure if they were actually breeding, or doing the practice thing, like ducks do?, I wanna hatch some keets when they start laying eggs, cause I want more guineas, and it's cheaper than buying more LOL.

but I wanted to know if what I saw was REALLY what they were doing, and if they were when do they start laying???

first time guinea owner here LOL

Thanks for posting this! I was wondering the same thing today. My male has started really getting protective of the female, so I figure that it would be any time. Mine's about 12-13 weeks old.

Waiting for an answer, with you!
pop.gif

Shelly

Guinea fowl only start laying eggs in the spring so usually you have to have your keets one winter before you get fertile eggs.

White guinea fowl are usually the first to lay eggs, IMO.

Last edited:
I got my guinea keets at the end of July. They started laying eggs sometime in March. So they were about 8 months old. I've not had great fertility yet, I'm hoping things will improve soon.

Quote:
Really? Wow. I am so glad the Mods separated out all the different birds into their own boards. It's been so much easier to find useful info now! Thanks.
smile.png

I know! I love the new guinea section!!!
clap.gif
Thanks Mods!

I was hoping to get some babies this year from them, but I guess I'll have to wait.
sad.png

Shelly

If you put them in a pen you will get better fertility we have found. When they are ready to start mating you will see them start to chase each other around, sometimes we will have 5 or 6 all in a line running after each other. "guinea races"

Steve in NC

Guineas will usually choose just one partner for life. If you free range them you will notice as they spread out they will tend to go in pairs and if the male ventures out of sight of the female she will "buckwheat until he gets close again.

A female that is being mated puts her head to the ground wings outspread to balance herself as the male climbs on her back. The chasing is usually establishing or re-establishing pecking order.

Last edited:
Wow guess i was lucky I bought my 1st guineas when they were about a month old. The white one started laying at around 4 months. While my dark gray just started laying. (I was hoping she was a male & just not mature enough). How ever i have 2 younger ones a white and a lavender about 2.5 months, neither of which have started laying, however these free range during the day. So i guess they might have an hidden nest, but doubt it as most of the time they roost inside with the chickens. I think the lavender is a make because so far it has a 1 silable call.

Back
Top Bottom