At what age will my ducks follow me?

Thanks everyone! Well, today was nice and I took them out in the yard (I made a little enclosure out of some boards resting against each other in the form of a square) and decided to experiment... I took one of the boards down and walked away backwards and called for them "Come 'ere duckies!" and they followed, hesitantly at first until they were sure I'd leave them and then they came running. Really cute!

At first I was wondering the same thing, Mine were really skittish. But the first time I took them out and walked away just slightly they would peep and follow me.

They are still skiddish when I pick them up but they will eat out of my hand and let me 'pet' them from time to time. :p

Cute buggers.

--

I also just noticed that this thread was from ages ago. My bad.. Darn google searches brought me here, haha..

Last edited:
it's been really time consuming but I go out and hang out with my ducks 6+ times a day for 20 minutes or more each visit. Sometimes I bring treats, sometimes I just sit nearby. They will follow me to some extent. And if I have been sitting with them a while and I suddenly move 12+ feet from them they pop up and run after me. They will let some distance go but after a certain amount they can't stand it anymore. We are integrating out 4 week olds with our 7 week olds so I am finding them following the older ducks a little more. Although the older ducks are not fans of this and chase them off so they come running back to me. I have been working with the 4 week olds since day 1. Holding them, talking to them, hand feeding treats and sitting with them...

I just got ducks and let me tell you, all you need to do is get two at a time and let them lay on you. If they get to scared, a way to calm them down is to put your hand over their head. Once you get them to calm down, take them outside! Let them play and put them in water! If you want them to fallow you go ahead and chirp like them and they will! It's ridiculously simple, but remember do it every day or it will rub off. They are so cute and amazing and smart!
1f60d.png
1f425.png
!!!

Back
Top Bottom