At what age would we see Austrolorp combs and wattles?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Our7Wonders, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

I have a RIR roo that just made us aware of his manliness lately. His comb is double to triple the size of the other RIRs and is distinctly red, and has wattles are developing. None of the other RIRs have any of these signs.
    Also from the same hatchery shipment I have 14 Australorps who all have very small (next-to-nothing) combs and no wattles at all. If we had roos in the bunch would we likely be seeing some development in them by now? Or are they later than the RIRs?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    how old are they?

3. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

Sorry, they are 6 weeks today. My RIR really started looking ROOish just in the past few days. Just wondering if Australorps would present this early or if I have to keep watching for a while.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Most single comb roos are pretty easy to spot by about 4 weeks. Some sooner- so you probably have all pullets.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    by 6 weeks you would most definatly know if your australorps were boys. Mine got red combs and wattles by the time they were a month old. This is Jet he is 5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

6. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Here is my Australorp pullet

[​IMG]
    Maybe a week old or so at this point

[​IMG]
    about 4 weeks old

[​IMG]
    Approximately 6 weeks old