At what Age

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
At what age will Ducks start to fly ,
the reason why I ask this I would like to place my baby ducks outside in the 50' long X 18' width X 14' high duck aviary most of it is cover up but the top needs to be finish . My ducks are only 2 week old and need to get them into there own space do to that there making a mess inside the chicken coop in a small run / cage .
I know I will have to place a small house with some type of heat /light source, but my main question is this how long will it take before they start flying at what age I plan on finishing covering this aviary with in a week or a few days after that .

Thanks Alan

It depends on what kind of ducks they are. A lot of domestics will never make it over that fence, and at two weeks you've got some time.
smile.png

I can't remember if the buffs fly. You still have a while, my 12 week old Kahkis are just now starting flapping exercises. Mallards may start sooner though, but there isn't a lot they can do until the primary feathers come in.

cool.png
thanks chickboss looks like I still have some time and maybe this week end there be going in the duck aviary but I'll have to put some temp. snow fence around the mini pond so they can't get into it for now seeing it about 18" deep and they don't have the swimming feathers as of yet
tongue.png

That is it! I now demand pics of your set up. LOL. Nicely, I demand nicely.
big_smile.png
Did you ever find out anymore info on the Chocolate Calls? Are you going to get some?

Chickboss

That is it! I now demand pics of your set up. LOL. Nicely, I demand nicely. Did you ever find out anymore info on the Chocolate Calls? Are you going to get some?

Ok yes I order some choc calls hatching eggs , I hopeing there the real thing , I also order some butterscotch calls eggs to , I have in my bator some BEI -and White calls now .

as far as my Duck Aviary you can see my thread /post and some early pic.s from back in the late 2009 . on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251069

I will take some pic.'s tomorrow as how far I gotten with the landscaping and some of the wire up , I have change the pond to a rubber liner pond where befor I have one of the 300 gallon plastic goldfish pond​

You are going to have a lot of pretty birds! And a very pretty home for them as well.
smile.png
You're property looks beautiful! I have been considering a fully enclosed area for our Calls, instead of the usuall set up, because I was told, more so than other ducks, that they are particularly vunerable to hawks because of their loud calls and small size. We have Butterscotch Calls in the incubator as well, due to hatch soon. Lots of good ideas, thanks for giving me the link to your other thread, now the wheels are turning...
big_smile.png

Oh, and I really want to see pics of the Chocolate Calls. Where did you get the eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom