At what age?

It's actually closer to 6 months old that they start to curl, from what I've read. You can usually start telling sex more by quacks at that age. Females will honk and quack, the males will still be whispering and cheerping.

Okay - the sounds they make - if I could ever get them all apart I could tell... they are noisy and they are always in their little group!

I am new to ducks so not sure how "right" i am but what I did was pick up one duck and walk away from the "crew" and they HATE to be separated I found out :D they each made their own little noises and two made a quieter peeping noise (almost raspy sounding) with NO quacks at all (figure they are boys) and two were quacking (undoubtedly a quack) very loudly and constant (sure they are my hens). They are all five weeks old and last week Ii tried this with no luck...they were making all different noises but at five weeks it was ONLY that noise (either a quack or a peep) nothing in between like the week before. I hear the "drake feather" don't show up until they are about 6 months of age so I didn't want to wait that long so glad they were being consistent with me (tried it a few days in a row).

well 3 months will be on us soon - I can hear two distinct sounds out there so I am thinking that there might be a few of both... I am hoping.

Agree with Hanging with my Peeps. I could hear the different sounds at 3 weeks from my ducks and both groups of hatchlings it has been accurate. The females will start quacking or sounding quite different then the typical peeping if you pick them up and move them away from the group.

Back
Top Bottom