1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what point can I stop checking for pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MillieKay, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MillieKay

MillieKay New Egg

May 26, 2011
    I have 6 chicks that will be 2 weeks old on Monday. Five seem to be pasty-butt-free, but one Polish (seems to be the bottom of the pecking order, and slightly smaller than the others) still needs some de-pooping every other day or so. I'm going to try smearing a bit of olive oil around her vent when I get home to help keep her clean, but they all seem to have great appetites and look generally healthy.

My question is: at what age can I stop doing butt-checks? They seem to resent it when I flip them over to look at their vents, but when I tried to just hold a chick upright and high enough to see her vent, she nearly projectile-pooped in my face. (And yes, I am impressed that that one's got such a feisty attitude at such a young age [​IMG] )

Many Thanks,
    Millie

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    With mine, once I quit seeing it for a week, I stopped checking. I never had a problem after that.

3. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    I quit after about a week too. You should probably still check your Polish though since she seems to be having difficulty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by