At what temp should window be closed?

I never close all windows or vents completely, even in temps down to -15 Fahrenheit. Through 4 winters I've never had a chicken with frostbite on combs or toes even with narrow roosts.View attachment 2367901. Windows are on opposite wall from roosts.View attachment 2367909
I always leave this window open at least this much during winter season and never block vents above windows. Chickens roost together on left side so I leave that window closed in cold weather.View attachment 2367911
I keep water inside coops on a heated base.View attachment 2367916. Without ventilation humidity would create conditions for frostbite and cold wet chickens.

My other coop has windows that tilt and even when closed still allow ventilationView attachment 2367935
GC
How many chickens do you have?

How many chickens do you have?
8, split between two coops now.
I had 7 Barred Rocks in the EZ coop, 3 in there now.
My other coop I built.
20200828_184212.jpg
20200926_172740.jpg

GC

@aart any advice with the added photos? Thanks!
Could lower the roost to just above the nest.
A bit confused with the pics...one inside showing feeders was before nest and large window were added? Don't see that large window in outside pics.

Best way to assess ventilation is to stand inside closed coop and a really windy night and feel the airflow see if it's ruffling any feathers(literally) on the roost.

It should never be completely closed, regardless of temperature.
They aren't cold and they need a huge supply of fresh air.
Different breeds have different tolerance levels for cold but most breeds can handle most temps encountered in the US.
Chickens are out in a draft all day. Why can't they survive a draft at night.
In the last 3 years, I've had chickens sleeping high in trees through sub zero temps, windy night, rain and snow. They were extremely healthy due to the unlimited supply of fresh air.
A closed up coop creates excess humidity (contributing to frostbite) and without a flow of fresh air, pathogens can reproduce unchecked in that stale air.
What if I have a fan that pulls out air?

What if I have a fan that pulls out air?
If you pull air out, it will create a negative pressure, however slight. That isn't a bad thing. What it will do is bring in fresh air anywhere there is a gap whether that be vents, windows, poorly fitting carpentry. Again, not a bad thing. The thing you are trying to do is constantly bring in fresh air. The more the better. Most of the time I had 5 separate coops/hen houses. The first one I built only had one standard window, gaps under doors and a ridge vent the length of the 12' roof. Still it wasn't enough with the window wide open. I ended up building a shelf extending the window sill on the inside and there placed a box fan blowing in the window, year round. The hens that didn't go into the rafters, chose to sleep on a roost directly in front of the fan.
Does that answer your question?

If you pull air out, it will create a negative pressure, however slight. That isn't a bad thing. What it will do is bring in fresh air anywhere there is a gap whether that be vents, windows, poorly fitting carpentry. Again, not a bad thing. The thing you are trying to do is constantly bring in fresh air. The more the better. Most of the time I had 5 separate coops/hen houses. The first one I built only had one standard window, gaps under doors and a ridge vent the length of the 12' roof. Still it wasn't enough with the window wide open. I ended up building a shelf extending the window sill on the inside and there placed a box fan blowing in the window, year round. The hens that didn't go into the rafters, chose to sleep on a roost directly in front of the fan.
Does that answer your question?
Yes it does. Temp lows ate 47 60 day time. My husband thinks they are cold🙄. I opened the 2 cross windows. Left the 3rd back one closed (don't have a rain guard on it yet). Appreciate it!

Yes it does. Temp lows ate 47 60 day time. My husband thinks they are cold🙄. I opened the 2 cross windows. Left the 3rd back one closed (don't have a rain guard on it yet). Appreciate it!
47-60 F is the sweet spot for most breeds of chickens. If those are your temperatures currently, it will never get cold enough there to be of concern. It hit the low 20s here overnight. Chickens are affected by heat, not cold. If you are in Texas, I would be worried by heat in summer, you can take any concern over winter temperature out of your mind.
All the years I've had chickens, the temperature has ranged from minus 29 to +112. I've lost birds to heat but never one to cold and that well below zero F was with all windows wide open.
Ask your husband if he goes to bed at night wearing layers of his best winter clothing and a down jacket. Because your chickens do.

Every year, around this time of year on this site, we start seeing posts in the emergencies section about respiratory disease in their chickens. Hmmm. That is because people are cold and by extension, they think their chickens are. So, they start closing up the coop, depriving them of the fresh air that will keep them healthy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom