At what temp should window be closed?

Hey all! At what temp should I close the coop window completely? It is near roost height, so I don't want drafts making them cold. Thanks!
It should never be completely closed, regardless of temperature.
They aren't cold and they need a huge supply of fresh air.
Different breeds have different tolerance levels for cold but most breeds can handle most temps encountered in the US.
Chickens are out in a draft all day. Why can't they survive a draft at night.
In the last 3 years, I've had chickens sleeping high in trees through sub zero temps, windy night, rain and snow. They were extremely healthy due to the unlimited supply of fresh air.
A closed up coop creates excess humidity (contributing to frostbite) and without a flow of fresh air, pathogens can reproduce unchecked in that stale air.

I never close all windows or vents completely, even in temps down to -15 Fahrenheit. Through 4 winters I've never had a chicken with frostbite on combs or toes even with narrow roosts. 20200120_093333_resized.jpg . Windows are on opposite wall from roosts.
20181104_151017_kindlephoto-24365180.jpg

I always leave this window open at least this much during winter season and never block vents above windows. Chickens roost together on left side so I leave that window closed in cold weather.
20190527_193440-2.jpg

I keep water inside coops on a heated base. 20191207_092057_resized.jpg . Without ventilation humidity would create conditions for frostbite and cold wet chickens.

My other coop has windows that tilt and even when closed still allow ventilation
20200826_191533_resized.jpg

GC

Last edited:
Hey all! At what temp should I close the coop window completely? It is near roost height, so I don't want drafts making them cold. Thanks!
Might depend on where in the midwest you are(adding state would help).
....and how the air moves thru the window...
...and how much other ventilation you have.
Post pics of your coop, inside and out, showing roosts and other venting, for more specific advice.

Might depend on where in the midwest you are(adding state would help).
....and how the air moves thru the window...
...and how much other ventilation you have.
Post pics of your coop, inside and out, showing roosts and other venting, for more specific advice.
I am in Indiana. Here are some pics ( the first picure is before adding the window, the venting is on all sides) The last picture is before the window as well, the window is on the left side past the roost, they are at about the same height. Thanks! Edit: I decided to stop being lazy and took an updated pic of the inside, the girls wanted their moment to shine anyway :) (We have 5 chickens atm)

Attachments

• IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
At a glance you'll probably need the ventilation that window provides, so I would not fully close it in winter. Having it propped open like in photo 2 is a good way to still allow it to provide ventilation while buffering winds and weather.
Thank you!

I never close all windows or vents completely, even in temps down to -15 Fahrenheit. Through 4 winters I've never had a chicken with frostbite on combs or toes even with narrow roosts.View attachment 2367901. Windows are on opposite wall from roosts.View attachment 2367909
I always leave this window open at least this much during winter season and never block vents above windows. Chickens roost together on left side so I leave that window closed in cold weather.View attachment 2367911
I keep water inside coops on a heated base.View attachment 2367916. Without ventilation humidity would create conditions for frostbite and cold wet chickens.

My other coop has windows that tilt and even when closed still allow ventilationView attachment 2367935
GC
Is that the large over ez chicken coop you have?

Back
Top Bottom