What is best method to stop feather picking and pecking of injured hen?

• Separate her until injury totally heals

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Use chicken blinders (pinless peepers,etc)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Put a diaper on her (?!) to protect area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use an anti-pick spray and continue Blue Kote

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
I built my coop with a little extra room (beyond 4 sq ft/bird) for my 4 pullets. As soon as I put them in there I could see it wasn't really big enough. And they kept growing!

Fortunately, we hadn't built nest boxes at that time, and were able to add some space along with the nest boxes. Their run is bigger than the minimum, about 55 sq ft, and they go out to free range daily. I am a little nervous about the winter, though, when they will likely be reluctant to spend much time outside.

I had my first bullying incident that drew blood after it snowed and they began spending more time inside. I'm covering the top of my run 100% (it was only about 1/3 covered) for the winter, to preserve the space that they now have. But it might not be enough.

I built my coop with a little extra room (beyond 4 sq ft/bird) for my 4 pullets. As soon as I put them in there I could see it wasn't really big enough. And they kept growing!

Fortunately, we hadn't built nest boxes at that time, and were able to add some space along with the nest boxes. Their run is bigger than the minimum, about 55 sq ft, and they go out to free range daily. I am a little nervous about the winter, though, when they will likely be reluctant to spend much time outside.

I had my first bullying incident that drew blood after it snowed and they began spending more time inside. I'm covering the top of my run 100% (it was only about 1/3 covered) for the winter, to preserve the space that they now have. But it might not be enough.

This is how we learn.. My first run turned out to be waaaay too small, not much bigger than the 8x10 hen house. Chicken math!

Back
Top Bottom