Atention everyone.

Quote:
Sorry to take this question over, I know the questions are for mr.mc...

Nava, Parrots chew. It's natural behavior. You cannot eliminate it, despite how many toys she has.

What I would recommend, and you may or may not be willing to do this. Limit her fly space to one
room. Fix her up a 'parrot room'. Lots of playstands, ropes, toys, etc should be present in this room
to keep her busy. Whenever you are able to monitor her, she may be allowed in other rooms. This
will stop her from chewing you furniture, and also keep her a bit safer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Good idea.
big_smile.png
(I live in a house with a LOT of people so I can only let my little birdie fly around in my room)
hide.gif

mr.mc. :

Good idea.
big_smile.png
(I live in a house with a LOT of people so I can only let my little birdie fly around in my room)
hide.gif

I know how you feel, my hahns and green cheek have to stay in one room all the time because of my extremely
small but overly active house.
roll.png

Just wondering, what kind of bird/s do you have?​

Last edited:
Quote:
I know how you feel, my hahns and green cheek have to stay in one room all the time because of my extremely
roll.png

Just wondering, what kind of bird/s do you have?

At the moment I only have one little hahn's mini macaw named Popeye, (he is also the most talkative bird I know)
but I have 2 empty cages...
wink.png

mr.mc. :

Quote:
roll.png

Just wondering, what kind of bird/s do you have?

At the moment I only have one little hahn's mini macaw named Popeye, (he is also the most talkative bird I know)
but I have 2 empty cages...
wink.png

Ahhh, hahns are one of my favorites. Definitely one of those to keep you on your toes! Mine likes
to fly off of his cage to the floor and knock on the door from the inside! haha!

I to have empty cages.. really wanting either a green wing macaw or a caique..

mr.mc. :

What I would do is put a treat or two in his cage, so he knows what they are, and you can also see if he likes them.
As soon as you find a treat that he likes, try letting him watch you set a treat next to your hand, and see if he will take it. After that you can try to give him one from your hand.
pop.gif

I'll give it a try. He is doing so good with the talking work we are doing. I am starting to hear the beginnings of words. I am focusing on two that have meaning. One is peek-a-boo and I hide around the corner, then peek around and say peek-a-boo. He seems to really enjoy it. Today I paused a few and he started to peek around on his own. Even making a sound as he did it.

I think you have a good idea giving treats while he is in the cage. He seems to be enjoying the play we are doing while he is in the cage. He is a funny little thing for sure.​

What treats to you recommend for training? We recently inherited a double yellow headed amazon. He is 12-15 years old and is very smart. I want to teach him more words to say and be able to handle him a bit more. He will step up on your arm if he's in the mood to and he says many things including hello, whatcha doing? (not so plain though), uncle, help, hey momma, toot toot, whoo whoo, he crows like a rooster and meows like a female cat in heat (very annoying) he has more words, just some he is a bit lazy on pronouncing,

I might need to know this info in two weeks when I bring home Moses.

How do you load up a Macaw that does not want to leave?

"Step up" is not in his vocabulary as far as I know. His nails are so overgrown, I don't know that you'd want him to step up without gloves.

He goes straight to the vet after getting "caught", to avoid the process again soon after the move.

Flocksalot,

My bird at the sanctuary (I call him my bird because I am determined to adopt him someday) doesn't talk all that much. He'll whisper "you're so cute", makes kissing noises, and says his name, "Big Bird". However, when someone comes over he doesn't like, he stands very still cursing under his breath. He likes the "S" word. It makes me giggle! One time I was cleaning cages and dropped a garbage bag that startled him. He flew off his cage and said "S**t!" really loudly. It always amazes me how these animals are able to learn proper usage of words! Personally, I don't mind his cursing very much because he rarely does it and it is just so darned funny. Not really sure how to help you with your issue though! I would just ignore her or yell a firm "no!" and leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom