Atomatic door motor ?

Aquaman05

Chirping
7 Years
May 2, 2012
I was going to use the add a motor d20 but read a few bad reviews on the motor.
I was looking at a motor from wells poultry but I think they are all battery powered and was kinda wanting to plug it in.
Looks like wells poultry is from the UK.
Is anyone using the wells motor ? About the same price with better warranty.

Thanks for looking

I don't know what you have heard about the D20 but mine works perfectly. It is DC ( 12volt) but comes with a plug in transformer for regular house current. Mine has been in operation for over 2 months now without a single issue. I used the transformer while assembling the rest of the items to make it solar powered only. I use a timer which opens the door a 6am and closes at 815 currently. Chicks are always in the coop by 8. D-20 , timer 10.00, battery 20.00 solar panel 30.00 = worry free operation.

I'll second the D20 endorsement! No problems what so ever. Although I will say, if you're not a handy type, then get a pre-built unit that just plugs in. The D20 takes a little set-up that can throw some folks.

Regarding the door closer from Wells in the UK, I'd hesitate to get a plug in unit from them. UK is 230 volt 50 cycle and the US is 120 volt 60 cycle. Best to get a battery operated unit from the UK and avoid the difference in voltage and cycles. Just a thought.

Thanks for responding !!

I was going to use a speed limit sign, but not real sure on how to make the rail for the door to slide .

Is it hard to set the motor up?

The speed sign is great for 2 reasons, won't warp and heavy enough to work well. If you don't have access to a table saw find someone that does or perhaps a cabinet shop. Use two strips (or one long one and cut it in half after the groove is cut into it). I recommend using hardwood as it would have less chance of warping also. The groove should be wide enough for a fair amount of play. The motor setup is the easiest part. Just follow the enclosed instructions and presto you're done. I ordered my motor from smarthome.com about $80.00. Detailed pictures available.

The speed sign is great for 2 reasons, won't warp and heavy enough to work well. If you don't have access to a table saw find someone that does or perhaps a cabinet shop. Use two strips (or one long one and cut it in half after the groove is cut into it). I recommend using hardwood as it would have less chance of warping also. The groove should be wide enough for a fair amount of play. The motor setup is the easiest part. Just follow the enclosed instructions and presto you're done.  I ordered my motor from smarthome.com  about $80.00. Detailed pictures available.

When u say two strips did you use 2x4 with strips cut in them ?

My rails are 3/4 x 1 with a 3/16 inch wide groove cut 1/2 in deep. They could be cut from most any size, I just used a 3/4 x 1 stock.
My door is just under 1/16" thick . The 3/16" groove allows free movement, I have approx 1/8" gap between door edge and groove bottom (with door pushed tight to one side). I also learned not to run rail all way to floor (collects debris)set rails about 1/2" off floor. Also sand the groove well and seal with sealer or varnish which produces a hard surface for the door to ride in.

Thanks for that pic !!
How did you screw that small wood to the wall ? Seems like it would split

Pre drill a pilot hole about the same size as the screw you are going to use. A #6 x1 1/2" sheet metal screw works just fine then the rail won't split.

Back
Top Bottom