Attaching hardware cloth for the run.

CrystalMosko

Chirping
Jul 1, 2022
Hayden, ID
Hi Everyone! My hubby is getting ready to put the run together. I think it's going to be 10'x16'. We will be using pressure treated lumber. My question is in between the posts, how do you attach the cloth to eachother? You run it vertical, correct? I thought I read on here somewhere how there is a trick to it, but now I can't seem to find that thread. Anyhow....tips would be much appreciated! =) Thanks

We've always just laid it side by side and overlapped (the part we're adding to). So the part where the cut end comes up through your little square and wraps around we typically put that part on the bottom and use needle nose pliers to bend around the previously cut portion. Then we fasten it to our wood with fender washers and star-head deck screws (if larger boards) and anything smaller, woodwise, with a screw that has a wider, flat head (but philips type head) and that way it catches the square guaging and holds it in place. We've also used roofing type screws (not self tappers) with a hex-head since they already have an attached washer. You can see both types of screws in this picture (zoom in). Philips head type with the flat wide head are going up the side (they're about 1/2" long).

Attachments

• 20220728_190300.jpg
    20220728_190300.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220729_195925.jpg
    20220729_195925.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 15
We ran ours vertical, having planned to have posts every 4 feet so that the 48" wire would reach, except for one wall where we ran it horizontally and planned a horizontal board in the right place. The reason we did it that was was to be able to cut lengths of wire that were easier to handle on our very large coop.

You can see how we did it on my build thread starting here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/post-24727971

We used a pneumatic fence stapler, which was wonderful to have.

I used screws with fender washers on a different structure.

I'd build it with post set to match the width of the HC run vertical, as 3kb mentioned above. This method works great with wide rolls of HC.

However if you purchased 2' wide HC, that's a lot of additional posts to set. I'd then run the HC side to side and add a horizontal 2x4s every 2’ so the seams fall on the 2x4s.

Heavy duty Plastic
Ok. I ask bc that’s all we have on for now in a small section so we could get started. They are heavy duty. I ordered some steel ones that are on the way. I’m just worried about predators being able to chew them apart. I have them on my brooder to attach the the hardware cloth and so far my dog and cat has attempted to chew on them but have been unsuccessful 😆 We have lots of coyotes, raccoons, and occasional mountain lions

Back
Top Bottom