ATTACK CHICKEN!!! Help!!!

youngjedi32002

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
East Coast
I have an Australorp that I think is a hen but lately, she has been charging me when I enter the run, even if I am bringing treats! She is 18 weeks old and has a great red comb on top of her head! She is absolutely giant and very, very vocal but I don't see any plumage on her behind that would convince me she is a he! I have tried everything, coaxing her with first dibs on treats, catching her and petting her gently and talking to her softly. She does allow me to pick her up. In fact, every evening, instead of going into the coop like the other 3 hens (all different breeds), she flies to the top of the 6 foot run fence and perches there until I come and get her down and put her into the coop. She has never tried to peck at me while I am doing this, she is rather tame about it, but there is a lot of loud squawking when I shut her in the coop. Is this normal for this breed? I chose the breeds I did because they were supposed to be calm breeds, good layers and generally easygoing. I have children and grandchildren and now I am afraid to let them in the run to feed the chickens. My 9 year old son came in crying the other day saying she had run up to him and pecked his foot really hard. Is there anything I can do? Like I mentioned, she is very, very vocal also. Loudest one of the bunch. No cock-a-doodle-doos, just a lot of screamingly loud squawks, like a very angry duck. Is there anything I can do? Could she possibly be a rooster? If my husband didn't have the camera on a camping trip, I would post a photo and maybe someone could tell me by looking. This is my first flock of chickens! I ordered all girls but I know that mistakes happen! Just wish I knew! I am not supposed to have a rooster. I can get away with her squawking so much because we have a family of wild turkeys that live at the end of the street! I just don't know how long I will get away with that! I will try to post a photo of her later, when I have the camera. Until then, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. She bit my hand fiercely today!

If one of my ladies bit me I'd whap her. In fact I do get bites occasionally but the funny thing is that I realized they were going after mosquitos that landed on me for a bite. Last night I got a couple soft pecks on a freckle. They aren't being mean either so that I don't mind. However if there's a actual bite I put them in their place and remind them who the boss is. If it continued and she didn't get the point we'd be having chicken dinner. I don't have any screamers. I have one that was barking the other day and one that is just a chatty little thing.

Convince her/him that you are dominant or the behavior will escalate.
hide.gif

I agree you have to let him or her know who is BOSS. I had a Rooster problem that was fixed with a Flagging whip for horses. All It is is 5 foot stiff whip that you tie a piese of plastic to and use it as a flag to move the animal off wheather it be a horse or chicken OR A
ep.gif
Rooster in our case. It is not used to whip beator to inflict pain in any way it is a tool to use as an extention of you arm to move the animal and to keep you at a safe distance. Can be bought at any feed or tack store...If you want let me know and I will post a pic. It works great for me and my little kids 6 and 8 to aid them in doing the chores. Good luck hope this helps.

The last couple times I went out to the run, I brought a spray bottle with me and when she came towards me I sprayed her right in the face. It is so hot here, she may like me for it, who knows, but she did keep her distance. I still need to put up a picture so if anyone can tell me if I have a rooster on my hands!!!

No more australorps for me either, they're obnoxious. I have two that are too too loud, I understand what you're going through and hope you resolve it soon!

I was beginning to have that kind of an issue with my Rooster... He'd rush me when I came in, and was generally starting to get uppity with me...

I showed him who was boss by picking him up by his feet, then holding him until he was docile. Once, I even placed him on my leg for close to an hour while the girls were free ranging... he's much calmer now, and eats canary seed and other treats out of my hand.

If only I ccould get the crowing to ease up a little bit... time to start putting him in a box at night I guess...

Show them who's in charge!

Back
Top Bottom