Attack Duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilshadow, Jun 14, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I have this duck named Petey. Well, Petey tried to eat me the other day, and I have no idea why. He latched on to my arm, and I had to pry his beak open just to get him off, boy was it smarts. Anyway, just curious as to why this little guy bit me. He will follow me, and attack my ankles if I turn my back on him. He will walk beside me, but the minute I turn he is biting me. How can I break him from this? I have been picking him up to carry him, and try and talk to him. Any advice would be great.

2. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    does he have a girl on eggs? mabey he is protecting her. is he your only duck?

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    If he has a mate he could be over protective. I'm not sure you can break him. [​IMG] Some ducks just aren't cuddly. Luckily ducks aren't near as harmful as geese!

4. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Yeah he has a girl "Quackers". They are still young yet they are about 14 weeks old.

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Several years ago we had a big Pekin drake the decided to go a few round with our Romney/Southdown black ram. I have no idea what started the whole thing, but it was quite a site to see. The duck would fly at the rams face and pull wool while beating him with his wings. The ram would butt the duck and roll him across the ground. There were wool and white feathers all over the pasture. This lasted for more than just a few minutes! You would have figured it a one sided contest in favor of the 150 pound sheep. In the end, the ram gave up. The duck waddled back to the pond victorious with black wool in his bill. One tough duck!

6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I think he is being boss and wants you to listen. He may also see you as another "drake" and is trying to tell you who is boss. Mine always "bite" each other like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by