Attack Guinea!!

cheepcheep3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Michigan
I have a pair of Guineas and the male is super mean!! If you go outside he will run from where ever he is in the yard and come at you. I have a little dog house that I put their food and water in next to my duck pen, so every day when I take care of my ducks he chases me around out there as well. Is this a normal thing for a male guinea to do?? Or do I just have a super mean one? Also they are free range, should I still be feeding them food everyday or is that unnecessary?

Thanks!

I have a pair of Guineas and the male is super mean!! If you go outside he will run from where ever he is in the yard and come at you. I have a little dog house that I put their food and water in next to my duck pen, so every day when I take care of my ducks he chases me around out there as well. Is this a normal thing for a male guinea to do?? Or do I just have a super mean one? Also they are free range, should I still be feeding them food everyday or is that unnecessary?

Thanks!

Part of your problem is that you only have 2 guineas. They are a flock bird and it is best to have at least 10 so they can take out their aggressions on each other.

The second part of your problem is you. Its a guinea and is how many times smaller than you? The worst that it can do to you is to peck you and draw a little blood.

Do not show fear to the attacking guinea. Do not run from the guinea, stand your ground and if anything chase him and don't let him chase you. For good measure, take a broom with you and swat him whenever he makes a dash at you. You have been exhibiting subservient behavior to the guinea and you really need to show him that you are the boss.

But in all seriousness, if he keeps going for you, even when you stand up to him, then you probably just have an aggressive one. With those ones, it's better if they just end up in your kitchen.

Buuuuutt, try standing up to him! Hit him with a broom for a couple of days when he goes for you. Or, run at him when he runs at you.

I agree, I think the main problem is that you only have 2. Anyways when he attacks you, its important to STAND YOUR GROUND. When he comes at you, you can scare him with something. I had the same problem as you but then i decided to make something to scare him off when he attacked me. So, what I did was, I took a regular broom and attached a plastic supermarket bag to it. I went out into the yard and when he came at me i waved the broom and that scared him off. I repeatedly did this until he completely gave up. I also chased him whenever he backed off after using the broom to show him who is boss. Anyways, good luck and don't be afraid, guinea cant do a lot of damage, luckily! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom