Attacked chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by klenkskluckers, Aug 17, 2013.

1. klenkskluckers

klenkskluckers Out Of The Brooder

Can someone tell me if her beak can be saved and is she in pain? I am very upset something got in my coop and ate one chicken head, scalped and ate eye and beak of one chicken left slive snd in shock i killed cause it was so bad off and left this ones beak like this. What do i do? please help!!! do[​IMG]

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum - this would normally be posted under the emergency section.

Chickens are amazing. I had one that survived an attack too. You could see her skull. She ended up blind on one side but did really well. If the chicken can eat and drink it will probably be okay. Beaks grow like nails. So assess the damage. If you think the chicken is going to suffer - you may want to choose to put it down. But if you think that the chicken is viable then you can try different things based on the damage. People actually clip chicken beaks so they don't need a lot of beak to survive.

Good luck and I hope your chicken is okay.

Caroline

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Please post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, " thread. and see what they say. I looked at the enlarged photo and she appears to have NO upper beak at all.
    I don't know if she could manage to get food into her mouth. Can she eat or drink?

Hatchery birds have their beaks cut way back so they can fight with each other -I have not ever heard of the beak growing back when people have rescued such birds. I think you have to have a certain amount of beak to grow from.

I'm not a person who gives up or puts animals down needlessly. I know chickens can come back from hideous injuries and I hope yours can. Maybe if you are able and willing to feed her by hand if she can't eat on her own - she has a chance. Without her beak she can't defend herself against other flock mates that may decided to attack her.

Some people make chickens into housepets so they can keep up with their needs - she might do very well in such a situation. PLEASE beef up security of your coop, whatever did this will be back.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2 on Drumstick's advice!
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

7. klenkskluckers

klenkskluckers Out Of The Brooder

Thank you. I was so upset didnt know where to post. I did find emergencies. Thank you and she is my house pet thats why i am upset[​IMG]

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It's a little hard to see in the pic, but so long as she can eat she will probably survive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by