Attacked duck

TX Duck Mom

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
Advice please. My duck was attacked by probably a fox 2 weeks ago. Lost part of her upper bill and has a badly injured (likely broken) leg. The bill has actually healed better than expected and she is eating a wet mixture well, and her favorite peas. But the leg is still just dangling. She cannot even use it for balance, so she mostly lies around all day only hopping on one foot when absolutely necessary. Upon inspection a couple of days ago, I heard a pop, so fear whatever healing was going on was broken. Should I put her down, or is it still possible at this point for her leg to heal and give her something to balance on? It’s a quality of life issue now. 🥺

Please post pictures so we can see where the break is and advise if possible to treat. If it's just dangling, then without some kind of support or brace it's not going to heal by itself. Depending on where the break is you might be able to put a splint on to support the leg but again, without being able to see where the break is located it would be hard to say if it will heal or not.

Please post pictures so we can see where the break is and advise if possible to treat. If it's just dangling, then without some kind of support or brace it's not going to heal by itself. Depending on where the break is you might be able to put a splint on to support the leg but again, without being able to see where the break is located it would be hard to say if it will heal or not
Sorry for the delay. Did take pics this morning but was able to take her to the vet. Gloomy prognosis. Probable severed tendon and infection in joints. They offered to treat with antibiotics but didn’t believe she’d ever regain functional use of the leg IF antibiotics worked. I brought her home for a meal of her favorite peas and am going to have her euthanized this evening. Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the delay. Did take pics this morning but was able to take her to the vet. Gloomy prognosis. Probable severed tendon and infection in joints. They offered to treat with antibiotics but didn’t believe she’d ever regain functional use of the leg IF antibiotics worked. I brought her home for a meal of her favorite peas and am going to have her euthanized this evening. Thank you for your reply.
Sorry about your duck ❤️

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and pray that she goes peacefully for you.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom