Attempting to hatch twin ducklings!!

Sad day... tried to open and intervene, peeled a little bit of egg shell away making a pin hole and it didn't look good nor smell good so I opened it, other duck had already died inside and it's twin was dead surround by yolk. Maybe I should of let it turn longer?? This duck left just didn't look full term to me. I feel terrible. Did I mess up? Sorry for the graphic pic, I just want to be able to learn from this experience, it is my first. Hoping I didn't make a mistake opening this egg. This is a first hatch nightmare :( It was moving on day 25 at lockdown which has me wondering if I could of done something different. I just wanted to help ughh :(

So Sorry!
hit.gif
Poor Ducky!!!!! After seeing my ducks parts all over the yard after a dog attacked awhile back I can deeply sympathize with anyone who lost a duck.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Most of the time people avoid trying to hatch large eggs with double yolks because the birds usually die before hatching. It was not necessarily something you did other than choosing a high risk egg.

Most of the time people avoid trying to hatch large eggs with double yolks because the birds usually die before hatching. It was not necessarily something you did other than choosing a high risk egg.

I concur! This was an endeavor with low chances of success. I don't know that you could have done more or changed your methods for greater chances of success.

I'm so sorry. Out of 4, we had 1 hatch this afternoon. He pipped yesterday, and then today he was out in 10 minutes flat. The other 3 have yet to pip. Tomorrow is day 31.

Thanks everyone again, I love this site for this reason. Support is amazing :) . DKFarms keep me posted on your hatch, would love to see pics. What types do you have incubating? Please tell me you meant he was out of the egg 10 minutes flat and not gone 10 minutes flat?!

Aw, sorry to hear they didn't make it, but I think you aren't giving yourself enough credit. You got farther than most people who try to hatch double yolkers. Sometimes even the most healthy viable normal egg doesn't make it with no apparent reason why. All you can do is keep your chin up. try and learn from the experience and keep trying :)

Back
Top Bottom