Attention Delaware Lovers: Please Read! NEW UPDATE POST #23

I find this fascinating.
pop.gif

I have sent my email in! Actually, I have sent a few more emails, as well. I emailed the Regional Director of my state and a few breeders and judges. I think we ALL have to fill up their mail boxes with letters of concern!

Well done Beth. If they can see the problem with the SOP, especially with differential between the bantam and the standard there is hope they will get it right.

Jeremy...that is exactly my point is finding out HOW they bred the sheen out. Especially when you consider that the bantam roo is supposed to have it. Interesting isn't it?

..... I have received info that the ABA standard for bantam Delawares says green sheen in the barring of the roo. NOT in the female main tail. Mr. Leonard also says the APA and ABA are working to unify their standards.

Well, there you go, a logical answer. Bantams are miniatures of LF. All traits should be the exact same except for size/measurement/weight. Can't have two different standards for the same breed. To me, if LF is silent on a subject and the Bantam standard addresses it, then you'd go with the one that addresses an issue. It's the exact same breed.​

Mr.Leonard sent me pics of these pages, but I cannot read them clearly, so I am only quoting what he told me.

I need some help - Mr. Leonard is looking for a photo, not an illustration, but a photo, of a Delaware rooster with the correct black and white barring, not two shades of gray, that shows green sheen in the black. Anyone have one? Please email it to me, don't pm it. Thank yous!

I'd like Mr. Leonard, for our edification, to send or point us to, a photograph of any Delaware rooster that matches that artist rendering in the SOP. Just one that looks exactly like that drawing. All our birds are a work in progress. If he can't help us get it fixed in our minds what a true Delaware is supposed to look like, then all he is doing is blowing smoke. We need a real photo of these wonderful Delawares that measure up in his eyes. How else will we learn, huh? Doesn't do any good to turn your nose up at these Delawares from breeders if you don't have some help to offer. That's just my take on it.

I'll look through my pictures I had of Jake and his brothers and see if I can find one, Beth. Been a long time, not sure where they all are. Also, to be able to see that in a photo might be hard. The sheen is subtle and you have to have the right angle to the light to capture it in a photo. I never tried to do that, specifically.

Thank you, Cyn. He has suggested only illustrations to me at this point, including the one by Schilling, which I think someone here has- if so, could that person post it again? According to Mr. Leonard, it is the most accurate black and white illustration of the conformation or outline of the correct Delaware.

I am also thinking he is getting inundated with information and emails, and we need to let him process everything.

Back
Top Bottom