Attention Lawyers or Legal advisers UPDATE on #23

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
We got this letter from the SC Services and Associates, Inc. out of Lake City, FL regarding to hubby's notice of non compliance to pay this bill......

"Your file has been referred to us by Woodford County States Attorney for failure to pay your obligation below.
Case number: 00TR1803-10216
Description: Operating Veh W/Susp Registration
Total Due: $955.50

Case Number: OOTR1804-10215
Description: none shown
Total Due: $1820.00

Grand total: $2775.50
barnie.gif

This is way before we got married, it was over 10 years ago and he said he NEVER got a bill from them and he has renewed his license twice without ANY problems or a red flag from the DL facility when he renewed his Jeep and insurance every year. He was not served any summons or any warrant for his arrest, we even had cops stopped us twice, road checks, license checked out and insurance up to date after ALL the fines has been paid that we got in the mail.

He was able to get jobs, get his licenses renewed, stickers renewed and all the legal stuff that he supposed to have, no problems from the cops, court or state officials.

Why the ghost decided to pop up now after ALL those years?????????

Should we fight it? I have no idea what the amount for $1820 would be for, no description listed on the line...is it the late fees? It has his OLD address that he has not lived there for over ten years and moved twice since that time.

What should we do? We do not want to pay if it is passed the statute of limitations within a given time frame of not receiving ANYTHING from Woodford Co, IL and why stick us with heavy fines if we know nothing of this "past due bill" that we never got?

Yes hubby was guilty of driving without insurance that night he got pulled over and he was waiting for the summons or bill due to come in the mail. It never came in. It COULD be possible that his mother may have thrown all of his mail in the garbage until to this date, the one and only collection notice is due.

I do not know IF this SC Services and Associates, Inc in Lake City, FL is bogus or true collection agency. It has a PO box and http://www.scservicescourtpay.com which a website is inactive. Makes me suspecious. I tried researching and nothing came up valid for this company.

Suggestions please......hubby wants to go to Woodford Co courthouse and see if his tickets are still there or being dropped as he thought when he did not have ANY contacts with him, nor a warrant for his arrest for failure to appear in court....absolutely NOTHING. Even our Macon Co courthouse and Police Dept showed NOTHING on him.

Another headache, ugh!

Last edited:
He has not lived at his old residence since Jan 1, 2000 when he left home to Decatur, IL.

The ticket occurred about 1999 I believe or a year before that.

Please don't bash hubby about driving without insurance, he learned his mistakes and kept insurance on his cars since March, 2000. He was out looking for work when it happened.

Send a letter to the collection company and the state attorney in woodford co and tell them you have no idea what this debt is for and could they please provide proof of the debt - or failure to pay the debt. Send it certified mail, signature required.

Is there really a STATE ATTORNEY in Woodford Co??? I thought the only state attorney would be the one next to the governor of state of Illinois.

I will pass the information on to him and I hope they dont add on the charges on each day it is late. The post date on the letter is Aug 2, 2010 and we have only ten days to pay this bill. Not enough time but we will get to the bottom of this.

I'm a clerk of the court in Texas; a District Clerk. I can't advise you like an attorney but this is what I would do: Call the Woodford County States Attorney's office and ask about the case number that was listed on the letter. Ask what clerk's office the case if filed in so you can check on the fees later. These days, courts are spending more time and effort on collections and in some states (like Texas) there is a statute that allows a collection company to keep the first 30% of the collection.

If I thought I had an unpaid fine, I'd call the clerk's office and check to make sure that it was true and it was actually ME, and then I would ask to be transferred to the collection person in the courthouse that makes payment agreements. I'd be really surprised if your courthouse didn't have a collection department. That way if there is a warrant, you can make arrangements to pay and get the warrant recalled without being there. I'm sure they really only want the money anyway.

I know this is a pain, but you need to find out so you don't have it hanging over you. There probably isn't a statute of limitations and chances are that the county just hired a collection agency in a blanket deal for all departments. Good luck.

The 'State's Attorney' just referrs to the attorney's office in the county that files cases on behalf of the people of the state.

Until/unless Woodford County decides to make this a driver's license blocker, Macon county wouldn't have any information on it. I would call Woodford County and find out which office - or group of offices handles traffic tickets. They're the people who can verify if this is a legitimate ticket and if that collection company is actually working for them.

They will also have records of what they sent to your husband - and when - and if anything was returned to them.

If you live close enough, i would go to Woodford County (call first to make sure they have the info) and get copies of his file, etc. and then go from there.

I'm not a lawyer - and never have been - but i spent a lot of time working for local government, so i know a little about how things work in those offices - though of course everything varies state to state and county to county.

Back
Top Bottom