Attention Muscovy lovers

Think they're settled enough to let out now to free range graze/forage, and not just try to take off? old five hundred cattle trough full of more mosquito larvae ect now that put water plants in it.. plenty of slugs and snails ect that need eating out of lawn and fields. too, as well as over abundance of fish think in big pond.

Oops! just noticed as half asleep i posted in wrong thread.. sorry for hijacking temp so bad! good luck finding females for pairs or more for your boys, as I'm having heck of time.

Last edited:
Ants, algea, muck, red water worms, tree frog tadpoles, great pond snails, and any other goodies I'm forgetting. as i was trying to finnish setting up and as i was hauling gruelingly all this mess over (heavy messy wet stinky breaking out of large pots, roots everywhere, as had to drag last load or two), they were right in frot at door bobbing and hoping around and seeming excitedly cheering me on and at same time seeming to get impatient. it was like trying to work around puppies as they have to "help" and get under feet, investigated and inspected everything as tried to work. matter of fact them and dog had same look as watched me toil in the full sun, as they laid together in shade after id shoo them away (i fell in the kiddie pool full of "soil" vinager and water..).
lol.png
Sounds like you had quite the audience. When you get the chance I'd love to see how you have set up their area, sounds interesting. and about the egg, if she hasn't laid in a while they can lay a smaller egg, but I don't think I've ever seen a solid white one from my girls. Off white to khaki color usually, But it must be hers if you have no other duck in there.
hu.gif
now the one egg I hope it doesn't go bad and explode, You might want to smell it often because if it explodes that is not going to be pleasant.

I tossed the huge older egg to my collie and still was fresh, with huge golden yolk. shell was so hard and thick though. funny and sad note, i had a chicken egg given to me at flea market that had put under one of my pigeons to hatch blow up under her. Poor thing, as had to bath her, toss her eggs as had rotten yolk all over, and she was covered in it over her entire underside were it'd already dried like cement, giving her the weirdest hairdo and confused expression, as she still tried to clean and care for all the eggs.

I tossed the huge older egg to my collie and still was fresh, with huge golden yolk. shell was so hard and thick though. funny and sad note, i had a chicken egg given to me at flea market that had put under one of my pigeons to hatch blow up under her. Poor thing, as had to bath her, toss her eggs as had rotten yolk all over, and she was covered in it over her entire underside were it'd already dried like cement, giving her the weirdest hairdo and confused expression, as she still tried to clean and care for all the eggs.
Muscovy eggs are super hard It's amazing lil ducklings can get through them, they have to be tuff lil buggers to crack them eggs open,
Poor Pigeon I bet she was a mess.

I set 12 Muscovy eggs on June 28th, fat end up for the first 14 days, the day after I laid them on their side one quit on me. I have incubated chicken eggs before so I was pretty sure what I was looking at was a blood ring. The ring wasn't small, it went around the entire dark part of the eggs and the fetus had stopped moving and no more veins
hit.gif
. But, on the bright side the 11 others are doing wonderful. I'm keeping a close eye on a few but this morning they are still wiggling around so, fingers crossed
fl.gif
. I'm posting pic of my bad egg for any comments. Sorry, the last 2 pics are kinda graphic

I set 12 Muscovy eggs on June 28th, fat end up for the first 14 days, the day after I laid them on their side one quit on me. I have incubated chicken eggs before so I was pretty sure what I was looking at was a blood ring. The ring wasn't small, it went around the entire dark part of the eggs and the fetus had stopped moving and no more veins
hit.gif
. But, on the bright side the 11 others are doing wonderful. I'm keeping a close eye on a few but this morning they are still wiggling around so, fingers crossed
fl.gif
. I'm posting pic of my bad egg for any comments. Sorry, the last 2 pics are kinda graphic

Looks like it got started but for some reason quit early on, I always try to look at these as a blessing because it could have had serious problems if it had hatched and it's natures way of taking care of it. But to have 11 going great is awesome, keep us updated on development and hatch day.. and have you seen this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

Believe me, I read over and over and try to follow it very close. I laid my eggs down the night before I was suppose to and felt awful that I got a quiter, almost like that would have caused it! These are shipped eggs so I'm very causous with them! I'll keep posting updates.

Believe me, I read over and over and try to follow it very close. I laid my eggs down the night before I was suppose to and felt awful that I got a quiter, almost like that would have caused it! These are shipped eggs so I'm very causous with them! I'll keep posting updates.
WOW to have gotten 11 from shipped eggs is truly a miracle since most never get that good. When is hatch day?

Lockdown on July 30 hatching should start on Aug 2. I'm watching one egg where the veins look like streaks but the fetus is very active. The other 10 are looking normal. Supper excited!

Back
Top Bottom