Attention Muscovy lovers

Ok everyone, I need advice! My drake harry is picking on the other drake that was for my friend. My friend never answers me now and now if we can figure out how to keep my drake from picking on the other, we'll keep him, but he has been shuned basically because harry picks on him so much. What can I do to help the other boy

how many females do you have? drakes will be pretty rough with one another till they establish who is boss. I will also say sometimes some drakes are not cut out for multiple drake flocks. I run quite a few here but it's a good sized flock and get rid of anyone who is overly aggressive.

Well we want to keep him if possible, but will sell him if have to. Harry just walks toward him and he runs. I want them to make peace, but idk what to do. They are used to being free ranged and they can't free range here.
That is likely the root of the issue, running flocks with many drakes require plenty of room confined areas can bring forth aggression... my Muscovy are all free ranged and some drakes are housed in the same barn others in differing areas.

how many females do you have? drakes will be pretty rough with one another till they establish who is boss. I will also say sometimes some drakes are not cut out for multiple drake flocks. I run quite a few here but it's a good sized flock and get rid of anyone who is overly aggressive.

hi, I was able to trade them 3 for 2 hens. They are out now with lots of hens of their own to breed and protect

That is likely the root of the issue, running flocks with many drakes require plenty of room confined areas can bring forth aggression...  my Muscovy are all free ranged and some drakes are housed in the same barn others in differing areas. 

yeah I wish I could let them free range, would love to see how hapoy they are with it, but I just cant.

@andreacroyle your great photos inspired me to post one of my just hatched nest! :D

My .02.........

Now, since I don't live too far from Ocala, I have a comment to make about killing the ducks. I understand it, but I don't like it one bit. People caused this problem by feeding the WILD ducks which kept them there and they bred and had more ducks and people thought they were cute and fed them and so on. If people wouldn't feed the WILD ducks OR take their little Easter duckling that got too big to the pond/lake, we would never had gotten to the point where these ducks were slaughtered in the first place. People, no doubt with good intentions at heart, unknowingly caused the slaughter.

My ducks are more than a dual purpose duck. They are for my enjoyment to look at as I think they are pretty neat, they are for eggs for my consumption and they are for meat for my table in that order. That being said, I may never eat one, but if push comes to shove and hard times come upon me, I will eat them.

My solution to the wild Muscovy population would be to educate people that these ducks are good to eat and have an open hunting season on them. They could only be captured by live trap or by netting. Now some of you may say OMG I could never eat a Muscovy duck, but I bet you eat chicken or cow or pigs or turkey, maybe even venison huh?

I'm still surprised as to why eating duck hasn't caught on in this country as I have seen it abroad.

Bottom line and in closing. I like my little ducks very much and I'd hate to see the day come when I seriously looked at them as food.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I understand that some people want ducks for pets only, but you'll never see a duck diaper in this house.

old.gif
We have some of the same problems here in SoDak with deer. We now have cities (not that we have that many cities here, lol) that have archery only seasons for deer. They are starting extra seasons for snow geese also because of depredation of farmland in certain areas. The animal rights folks don't like it, but I think it's alot more humane than letting them starve or have illnesses that could spread to domestic populations. I'll stand back for my lashes now.

BTW charlindabob, as a farm kid, I don't understand ducks in diapers. My husband, however, will never let me put one in the freezer because he is a "city kid". So, now I have to figure out what to do with the extra drakes I think I have. If anyone is close to me I may consider a trade for a few female ducks or a few female guineas.

At what age can you tell the REAL difference between a male and female Muscovy? I have 4 of them one is 6wks old and the other 3 are 4wks one looks smaller then the rest but the oldest is huge! and the 2 middle ones are the same size. So I am having a real hard time deciding what I have on my hands. Thanks for any input!
I couldnt tell for sure until mine were about 8 weeks. it might be hard because of the age difference. but males get their feathers on their wings much later than the females.

@andreacroyle your great photos inspired me to post one of my just hatched nest!
big_smile.png
Wow what a pretty duck!! would love for you to post age progression pics if you are keeping them! Or you could put a couple in a box and send them to me. =) I am interested in watching the coloring changes. there wasnt much color changes for my white ducklings. thanks for posting.! tag me again when you post more.

Here is one of 3 to 4 broodies.. bellatrix is sitting on 22 eggs

She got up and went to the pool to wash off and drink, so I got a picture of the nest.

now since the other broodies wont use the ladder, I pulled alot of grass and placed it under the coop and ladder, they are now just starting to lay there to build up eggs to sit on.

Age study of Creamy.

@andreacroyle

Notice how she went through a stage of looking almost all white, with just a small silver cap. Now, she has lots more color. Also, her eyes changed color from dark, to a light blue.

I do not have a duckling photo of her, but I am sure she looked like one of the light ones in the front if this photo.

At about two or three months. Notice she looks solid white except for a very light and very small cap.

A few months after that, on the far left.

At almost a year of age.

Just today, the bottom duck. She is now one year old.

In some light she does still look close to white. It is interesting how different she can look just with lighting changes. However, no matter how you looked at her, when she was 2 or 3 months, her back was completely white.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom