Attracting Mallard Ducks?

Quizcat

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
I have a male and female pair of Mallard Ducks that I enjoy seeing on the pond. I've been thinking of making a Mallard Duck Tube and putting it out out there for the Mallard Ducks to nest in, if it wouldn't be detrimental to the environment for the fish ecosystem. Can anyone advise if having a few Mallard Ducks around would be just as detrimental as Canadian Geese are to a fish pond?

There's a lot of "it depends" in terms of that question. The size of the pond, the number of ducks, etc. Does the pond have inflow and outflow (water comes into it and leaves it) or is it just standing water? With a smallish standing water pond, ducks can kill it quickly via algae build-up and basically turning into a poopy-mudhole.

Other people here can give you better, more detailed answers if you provide a bit more information about the location and situation of the pond.

From what I've read adding a few ducks to the pond can actually help boost the pond's ecosystem. Duck waste serves as food for organisms and fish, Ducks help aerate ponds by swimming and diving and a healthy amount of ducks in a pond will help keep aquatic plants in check.

Of course, if you put 30 ducks in a small pond it will simply turn to a muddy water hole but, Four or Five ducks in a relatively big pond would be fine in my opinion.

It's a 1 acre pond, about 8 feet deep at it's deepest point. It fills from run-off accumulated from rain from about 8 acres of pasture land above it. While there isn't an inflow source like a creek or spring, the wind keeps the water churned-up pretty well. There isn't any surface algae on the pond.

One question I have is whether ducks congregate together in large flocks when they find a place they want to make their home, or are they somewhat territorial, and do they chase off other ducks once the ratio of ducks to the amount of pond surface reaches a certain level.

It's a 1 acre pond, about 8 feet deep at it's deepest point. It fills from run-off accumulated from rain from about 8 acres of pasture land above it. While there isn't an inflow source like a creek or spring, the wind keeps the water churned-up pretty well. There isn't any surface algae on the pond.

One question I have is whether ducks congregate together in large flocks when they find a place they want to make their home, or are they somewhat territorial, and do they chase off other ducks once the ratio of ducks to the amount of pond surface reaches a certain level.

Mallards will absolutely stay if the conditions are right. My in-laws live in a subdivision with a pond about the size you have in the middle of the neighborhood. Mallards are all over the place (30 if I had to put a number on it) and stay year round. This is in thick duck hunting territory in south Louisiana.

They feed off the fish/wildlife around the pond and whatever the neighbors throw out there (my sons certainly do their part to make sure they are fed well).

Ducks are somewhat territorial, but as long as there's enough territory, they're okay.

Back
Top Bottom