Aug-Nov egg stats

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
Egg production from 6 buff orpington hens. They free range on about an acre, get fed organic layer pellets and get alot of kitchen/garden scraps.

August egg production 59 eggs
September egg production 136 eggs
October egg production 105 eggs (Last 2 weeks production has been way down)
November egg production 91 eggs (Nov 15 provided with supplemental light in AM)
December egg production 112 eggs
January egg production 127 eggs from buff orpingtons
10 eggs from Easter-eggers

August 1st (18 weeks 4 days old) 1st hen started to lay
August 14 (20 weeks 3 days old) 2nd hen started to lay
August 15 (20 weeks 4 days old) 3rd hen started to lay
August 27 (22 weeks 3 days old) 4th hen started to lay
August 30 (22 weeks 5 days old) 5th hen started to lay
September 7 (23 weeks 6 days old) 6th hen started to lay
January 23 (23 weeks 4 days old ) 1st EE started to lay
January 26 (24 weeks old) 2nd EE started to lay

Last edited:
I find stats like these really interesting too. I am keeping a running tally on my office calendar. My 14 girls are just getting started and I collected 5 eggs in August! The first egg arrived at 19 weeks exactly.

I have no idea how many eggs my girls laid this month, or rather, I didn't keep track, but from my 7 hens (they were already laying when I was given them last winter) I probably got between 130-140 eggs. Yikes, that's a lot of eggs. I hadn't even realized (though I should have since I had six dozen eggs stacked in my fridge until a couple days ago. lol) I'm totally keeping track this month.

Anyone else eating a lot of egg salad sandwiches? I need to get my 'eggs for sale' sign made and out there because my br girls will start laying in late october, and that's another six layers.

I didn't even think to keep a running tally
hmm.png
. I have to take a guess at how many so far. Shouldn't be hard. I only have one laying and just for the past couple weeks.

I have 6 hens of egg laying age (just started the end of July) 3 rose sex-links, 3 white leghorns. At first we found just one brown egg everyday in a nest. then we started to find eggs in the horses hanging feed bin. then I found a nest of 15 white eggs under a bush just outside of the barn. we gathered them all up and have now only found on average 2 eggs a day, one brown and one white. Last Thursday we found 6 eggs in one day. 4 in the morning and 2 in the evening in a nest under a tree. Are the hens cheating me or just hiding them really good.

bigthink.gif
Maybe I can get my husband to make me a spreadsheet for my egg laying statistics. It could have amount of feed used and give a nice graph and pie charts of how the chickens are doing.

Of course, they probably won't ever make any money for me. Unless I can sell a few eggs here and there.

But, four chickens probably won't lay all that many eggs.
abacus.gif

Kept track of eggs for month of August.

6 Standard hens: 110 eggs = 9 dz + 2

8 Bantam cochin hens: 117 eggs = 9 dz + 7

4 ducks: 86 eggs = 7 dz + 2

Total: 25 dz + 11 eggs
clap.gif

Have 8 more standard that should soon start laying, and 10 more ducks...

I got 42 duck eggs from 2 ducks.
And 227 chicken eggs from about 16 hens that are laying.
3 of my hens just started laying again about a week ago after hatching out some babies for me last month.
I put all my eggs in a bowl each day and before I go to bed I count how many duck & chicken eggs I get each day and write it down on the calander. Then I put the eggs in a carton, except for the duck eggs which I havent figured out what I'm going to do with them yet. I put 12 duck eggs in the bator and should hatch on the 4th and I gave 12 eggs away to another BYC'er.
I sold about 12 dozen this month so that helped out on the feed bill a little.

Jayare

Great idea to track egg production. Now if only I got more than one egg every other day. 41 chickens and only one old enough to lay (and it's a banty at that).

Back
Top Bottom