August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Last week I cleaned all my incubators, brooders and chick rearing equipment and doo-dads, putting them away until next Spring. Today I pulled them back out again.

The quail in the big walk-in pen didn't get fastened up properly last night and I woke up to every single one of the quail dead, and most decapitated...tracks in the mud (we got just over 3 inches of rain yesterday) indicate it was a raccoon. I gathered all the remaining eggs that they had lain since yesterday afternoon and set them, along with the previous days eggs we hadn't eaten yet, into an incubator. The eggs are due to hatch August 5th.
Awww I am so sorry. Glad you had a decent amount of eggs to hatch. Hope you have a great hatch rate!!!!! How many did you set?

I didn't think I would hatch eggs again, but here I am. When I learned that bantam Salmon Faverolles exist I just had to get some for myself! They're just so adorably goofy to have. Also got myself some Copper Maran eggs cause those egg colors are amazing. Chicken math is real 😆

I just set up my new Nurture Right 360 incubator today since I wasn't really fond of the Brinsea mini. Am hoping my eggs ship and arrive on the same day, but we'll see. It should be coming this weekend! Assuming all goes well, they should hatch mid-late August.

Would it be alright to incubate bantam and standard sized eggs together? Is there any risk of contamination since I'm incubating eggs from 2 different places?

I didn't think I would hatch eggs again, but here I am. When I learned that bantam Salmon Faverolles exist I just had to get some for myself! They're just so adorably goofy to have. Also got myself some Copper Maran eggs cause those egg colors are amazing. Chicken math is real 😆

I just set up my new Nurture Right 360 incubator today since I wasn't really fond of the Brinsea mini. Am hoping my eggs ship and arrive on the same day, but we'll see. It should be coming this weekend! Assuming all goes well, they should hatch mid-late August.

Would it be alright to incubate bantam and standard sized eggs together? Is there any risk of contamination since I'm incubating eggs from 2 different places?
I think it is fine to incubate bantam and standard together. I have a friend that has done it.
I have incubated eggs from 2 different places at the same time and havent' had any issues, actually a few times I have done them from 3 different places. LOL

How exciting! I love Salmon Faverolles! they are too funny!

Anything exciting happening for you all??

I'll candle my eggs tonight (day 3) and again on day 7....

I am not expecting to see too much of anything but I like to mark the ones that haven't yet started to develope...and then on day 7 I can have another look.

I have some copper maran eggs in there which are DARK...so likely won't see much tonight in those...but my others are pretty darn light...and should see some growth...🤞🤞🤞

I am not expecting to see too much of anything but I like to mark the ones that haven't yet started to develope...and then on day 7 I can have another look.

I have some copper maran eggs in there which are DARK...so likely won't see much tonight in those...but my others are pretty darn light...and should see some growth...🤞🤞🤞
I always candle on day 3. If clear then they normally stay clear.

I am on day 8 today but not home this weekend. I checked on day 6 and think 15 are doing well, one was a ? Don't think anything in that one. One I think may have quit.

I saw some very energetic life in several last night while candling; those eggs are probably due somewhere around Aug 9-14.

Several nights prior one egg looked just like the classic “alien” face 👽 which I had never seen at that stage of development before!

Of the doz local blue eggs, I gave to a broody she ate 2, or one of the other hens did. they were only on day 3 at the time, and I had an incubator free. I scraped off the egg and dry cleaned as much as possible. The ten remaining eggs went in incubator. I candled today day 5? 6 were really developed. I pulled the 4 that were not going. I am not a huge hen hatching fan.

Of the doz local blue eggs, I gave to a broody she ate 2, or one of the other hens did. they were only on day 3 at the time, and I had an incubator free. I scraped off the egg and dry cleaned as much as possible. The ten remaining eggs went in incubator. I candled today day 5? 6 were really developed. I pulled the 4 that were not going. I am not a huge hen hatching fan.
I’m in the same boat after catching my “trusty” Melba eating a guinea egg recently!! It was either very early or infertile, but that was enough to convince me after I’d already seen my hens attack (and kill) the hatchlings in early June.
The thought suddenly occurred to me today as I marked my two “lockdown” eggs in the Brinsea holding various growth stages: the Brinsea will become my hatching chamber, and the NR360 that I don’t have yet will be my incubator. 🤪

Just a few more eggs to attempt hatching out, and then I promise it’ll be 2024 before I try more of this!

Back
Top Bottom