August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Here is an Aug hatch-a-long. Hopefully others join me.

Well I wasn't planning on being in this hatch-a-long since I have been hatching since March. LOL But my July one to get the last few colored egg layers that I want is not going how it should. So I have new eggs being shipped that will hopefully go much smoother this time. and I am trying to win an auction for some CCL on ebay and hope they go better than the local ones I got. I may add in a few of my own as well if I have room. The eggs should be shipped on Mon and set around Thurs so an Aug 3-4 hatch date.

The eggs should be shipped on Mon and set around Thurs so an Aug 3-4 hatch date.
I believe mine are shipping Monday as well!!!

I asked her to hold off if necessary so I can have a hatch date on a tues-thurs....so that I can be present for the hatch...

If they ship Monday, (3hrs away) I should get them Tuesday set Wednesday...

@junior67 how are you incubating??
I am considering a dry hatch...but its only my second time.

I set my brooder up last night and checked my heat boards to be sure they are still working...they are....I didn't expect less though since I just brooded chicks 6wks ago 😆

My brooder this time for their first wk is 2 4x4 boxes joined together...(don't mind my set up...I don't have an extra table at the moment lol)

Incubator is plugged in and temp is good...sitting at 37-38% humidity...(won't add water just yet, even if not doing a dry hatch)

Attachments

• 20230709_035146.jpg
    20230709_035146.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 22
@junior67 how are you incubating??
I am considering a dry hatch...but its only my second time.

I set my brooder up last night and checked my heat boards to be sure they are still working...they are....I didn't expect less though since I just brooded chicks 6wks ago 😆

My brooder this time for their first wk is 2 4x4 boxes joined together...(don't mind my set up...I don't have an extra table at the moment lol)

Incubator is plugged in and temp is good...sitting at 37-38% humidity...(won't add water just yet, even if not doing a dry hatch)
I was debating on dry hatch since I have a few weekends away during the hatch I am doing now and think one at the beginning of the Aug. So easier to have my pet sitter not to worry about it. But even with it extremely humid here when I tested it there were times it was at like 30, think highest was 35 so then I got nervous it wouldn't work or if humidity broke it would go too low etc. So went my normal way. Lol

I love that brooder box. I have no where safe to put them in something like that as I have dogs and cats... So I use a small plastic tote, well not small guess big but not huge, for the first few days then I brood in the coop after that. But I have the quail I just hatched in there and was debating on holding onto them till they lay, so another few weeks, and I have chicks due to hatch in a bit over a week.... So think I need another bin. Lol

I was debating on dry hatch since I have a few weekends away during the hatch I am doing now and think one at the beginning of the Aug. So easier to have my pet sitter not to worry about it. But even with it extremely humid here when I tested it there were times it was at like 30, think highest was 35 so then I got nervous it wouldn't work or if humidity broke it would go too low etc. So went my normal way. Lol

I love that brooder box. I have no where safe to put them in something like that as I have dogs and cats... So I use a small plastic tote, well not small guess big but not huge, for the first few days then I brood in the coop after that. But I have the quail I just hatched in there and was debating on holding onto them till they lay, so another few weeks, and I have chicks due to hatch in a bit over a week.... So think I need another bin. Lol

Yeah imma watch the humidity for a few days and see what it does. The incubator is in a temp controlled room...so I imagine it'll stay pretty consistent.

I have a tote brooder, but it won't work for 20+...so I made this. We have dogs indoors..but they never do more then peer inside and sniff...

I brooded my last set outdoors (completely ) after the first wk...(BIG cardboard box as their coop till we integrated at 3wks)
And the set before that in the coop...

20230604_175349.jpg

I'll do the same this time...outside

But I like to keep em in for a wk...

I am getting excited for these eggs!!!

Here is an Aug hatch-a-long. Hopefully others join me.

Well I wasn't planning on being in this hatch-a-long since I have been hatching since March. LOL But my July one to get the last few colored egg layers that I want is not going how it should. So I have new eggs being shipped that will hopefully go much smoother this time. and I am trying to win an auction for some CCL on ebay and hope they go better than the local ones I got. I may add in a few of my own as well if I have room. The eggs should be shipped on Mon and set around Thurs so an Aug 3-4 hatch date.
I know what you mean, still haven't need able to get the chocolate pullet and cockerel orpingtons I wanted to add this year and this last batch of shipped eggs (16) from a different breeder only 1 is developing 🤦‍♀️

Yeah imma watch the humidity for a few days and see what it does. The incubator is in a temp controlled room...so I imagine it'll stay pretty consistent.

I have a tote brooder, but it won't work for 20+...so I made this. We have dogs indoors..but they never do more then peer inside and sniff...

I brooded my last set outdoors (completely ) after the first wk...(BIG cardboard box as their coop till we integrated at 3wks)
And the set before that in the coop...

View attachment 3571310

I'll do the same this time...outside

But I like to keep em in for a wk...

I am getting excited for these eggs!!!
I love the coop brooding. I keep them in anywhere from 3-10 days before they go out. Don't think mine will hold that many either so next tote brooder will be bigger.

I hope this next batch of eggs do better than my current batch with 4/33.... So excited but nervous this time. Need to play a bit if musical incubator to figure out where to fit them all

Back
Top Bottom