August Hatch-A-Long!

and they too sweet for words
love.gif

it's so hard....but didn't I read that you were adjusting temps at some point?? I don't always remember! but anyway if they have cooled a little at sometime during incubation that would delay your hatch... try to keep busy...lol....and remember if your nose is constantly smushed against the incubator window it might stick that way
frow.gif
Lol, I agree, remember a watched pot never boils. Mine seemed to make the most progress when I left the front of the incubator...when I return, oh there's a pip, oh there's a zip! On a side note, Heidisgran, if you click on the 'quote' button instead of the 'reply' button it will include the original post you are replying to, then we don't have to try and figure out which of us you are talking to :)

So my little pipper hasn't done anything else for 2 hours. I'm assuming she's resting for a bit. When should I worry? I'm super worried that they'll try to hatch while I'm work and something will go horribly wrong. I'm leaving in 30 mins and won't be back for 9 hours.
barnie.gif
Also I checked my humidity and I can't for the life of me get it above 60%. Will they be ok with it that low? I don't want to open the bator unless I absolutely have to...

This is only my second hatch & things are totally different from the first one. This one the humidity has been running in the 30's like yours (only my incubator is actually a cooler). The July hatch my bator was running at a steady 50% - I'm not sure what to tell you about lock down humidity, my first hatch seemed to all zip whenever it was at 70%, so I just kept it at 70... This one will probably go more like yours, & I'm afraid of being unable to keep the humidity high enough. We also got a lot of rain in July so I'm sure that plays a factor. I go in lockdown Friday, & there will be a thunderstorm all weekend, so I might end up putting them under my broody while taking away the other eggs if the power goes out.

I add pieces of cheap cello sponges filled with water to my lockdown to help keep the humidity up where it needs to be. If I place them near the vent hole then I can easily add more water right on them with a tube and syringe, as needed, without opening the incubator.

De maybe we should try and find you someone with some birds closer to you. Maybe someone who will meet you halfway so you can get some good quality eggs that dont have to go through the USPS. I knopw LOTS of people and they know LOTS of people.....let me know
YEs please, if you know anyone in my area, Tuscaloosa County, Jefferson County Alabama or further if they have really good eggs. I'd much rather have local. As long as I can afford them.

I've got a question for some of you with way more experience than me. I have a hen whose eggs start out doing very well, but then quit midway through. Th have good air cells, good veining, and I've even seen movement in some of them. Then between day 10 candling and candling before lockdown, they all have developed a blood ring and have to be tossed. This is the second hatch this has happened with, and she is about a year old. Any idea what could be causing this? She's the hen in my avitar and I really want some of her babies. Thanks!

There are a couple things I can think of. Contamination of the embryo due to handling, and or feces on the shell. And bacteria growth in your incubator. And yes you can have bacteria in there that will effect only some of the eggs.

Batch #2 is starting to pip - 2 so far! They are both my own eggs. The shipped Welsummers haven't done anything yet. They are so dark I really can't know for sure what is going on in them. I just hope none explode if they aren't good :/

From my experience (as someone who has had an egg explode in my hand, lol) you can smell the egg before it explodes. I smelled something rotten but my father said, that's just the stinky incubator, so I left it alone a few more days. (I was a kid at this time). Then when I candled them just before lockdown time I really smelled one egg. My dad said take it outside and be careful cause it could explode. The abrupt temperature change from incubator to cold outside caused it to contract and it did explode right in my hand! YUCK!!!

So anyway, I smelled it days before explosion time. So smell your eggs when you candle them :)

Back
Top Bottom