August Hatch-A-Long!

Since you have still air, my personal advice is to not candle them yet because 1) you lose too much temperature and humidity when you open the bator unnecessarily, and 2) you really can see much for sure until about day 10 so why mess with temps anyway.

Good luck with your first hatch!
Yeah that's what I thought I'll just leave them alone but its killing me going away this weekend so I hope and pray the bator stays regulated and the power doesn't go out
fl.gif
I put them in on Monday Aug 5th so would day 10 be the 14th or the 15th? Like I said all new at this! Also when you put them on lock down do you take the turner out? if so how do you put the eggs back on their side that they are pointing in the turner? I am so glad I found this site you guys are awesome and so much help
bow.gif

I'm trying to stay calm.... As if last night all my eggs are showing very little if any movement at all. (Today day 14) I can't again this am and same thing. It's very dark in there and I'm assuming there's little movement bc space is VERY limited now- not much light can get in and they're silkie eggs which are a tannish color. Anyway, should I be concerned or is this normal?

At only day 14 you shouldn't be worried. They are actually still very small...look back through the pictures for this thread (see right side bar) and you will find a chart of how big they are at day 14. Not seeing activity during candling at this stage is not unusual.

Yeah that's what I thought I'll just leave them alone but its killing me going away this weekend so I hope and pray the bator stays regulated and the power doesn't go out
fl.gif
I put them in on Monday Aug 5th so would day 10 be the 14th or the 15th? Like I said all new at this! Also when you put them on lock down do you take the turner out? if so how do you put the eggs back on their side that they are pointing in the turner? I am so glad I found this site you guys are awesome and so much help
bow.gif
I don't count the day I put them in, so if you put them in on the 5th then day 10 would be the 15th. Another more experienced hatcher said she thinks of it like this, "if the eggs go in on a Friday, they should hatch on a Friday three weeks from now. That is easiest to remember. To help me keep my hatch anxiety in check, before I open that bator I ask myself if doing so is to sooth my anxiety, curiosity, etc, or is it for the best interest of the chick. If I can honestly say for the chicks best interest then I do it, otherwise I leave them alone. Yes, when they go into lockdown you remove the turner. I place one of those no-slip drawer pads on the bottom so babies have a cushion and are more sure footed after they hatch. Just lay them on the pad, trying to not place the big end up against anything firm, like the wall, this helps the babies stretch and get out of the egg easier. Some folks place them inside cardboard egg cartons with the bottoms of the cups cut out, so the egg stays upright, but I found that laying them doesn't hurt anything and you can see the eggs wiggle too. Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
One even has the yolk floating at the top and pipped out the side. One of the dead ones was completely upside down and if it had pipped it would have been at the wrong end. My first shipped eggs - definitely a serious mess
sad.png

How did you incubate? Upright? Did you hatch upright also?
Wonky air cells will make them get into all sorts of weird contorted positions, none which usually hatch properly

fl.gif
bow.gif
First hatch is nerve wracking !!!I think I actually shook sometimes .
Day 21 you will need a drink or nerve pill or a big bag of candy or gum .. whatever your pleasure to stop being so VERY nervous!!.

Yes turner out or chicks can get a leg stuck in the turner or worse ... and yes lay eggs on their sides
You count from the day AFTER you set if in the morning .So day 10 would be 15th

I always start with that next day after set but they say to start counting THAT Set day..... IF you set in the afternoon or evening
I set the 3rd so will be right with you.
Some can start to pip on day 20 or even hatch then.Most of mine have always star pipped afternoon or evening of day 20 then most hatched overnight or next morning.Some have been a day early and some a day or 2 late.GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
I don't count the day I put them in, so if you put them in on the 5th then day 10 would be the 15th. Another more experienced hatcher said she thinks of it like this, "if the eggs go in on a Friday, they should hatch on a Friday three weeks from now. That is easiest to remember.

To help me keep my hatch anxiety in check, before I open that bator I ask myself if doing so is to sooth my anxiety, curiosity, etc, or is it for the best interest of the chick. If I can honestly say for the chicks best interest then I do it, otherwise I leave them alone.

Yes, when they go into lockdown you remove the turner. I place one of those no-slip drawer pads on the bottom so babies have a cushion and are more sure footed after they hatch. Just lay them on the pad, trying to not place the big end up against anything firm, like the wall, this helps the babies stretch and get out of the egg easier. Some folks place them inside cardboard egg cartons with the bottoms of the cups cut out, so the egg stays upright, but I found that laying them doesn't hurt anything and you can see the eggs wiggle too.

Good luck with your hatch!
X2

243 new posts! holy cow you guys!! I was just on here yesterday reading through everything GEEZ

Hi everybody!! I have 6 Silkie eggs in my mini Eco for my first hatch!! They are due on the 21st, we have candled once and I am agin tonight!:) so exciting!! They all seemed to be developing when candled, I hope to see even more today. The humidity outside is about 80% which is sweltering); and has made it very difficult to keep the bator steady. I'm using a humidor/therm plus the one therm that came with. Any advice on keeping the humidity more constant? At night it's not as bad but the day time is horrible with all the thunderstorms coming and going. I am so happy to see this thread, and know I'm not alone lol!! Good luck everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom