August Hatch-A-Long!

you must have a great candler to see all that through the shell!! good luck with those little ones
fl.gif
I have a bunch of flashlights I use, but for these dark eggs I am using one made from this http://www.modsynergy.com/Modsynergy files/Stanley FatMax LEDLIS LED Spotlight/images/gallery4.jpg But once you drill the peep hole you can see a lot more.

How did you incubate? Upright? Did you hatch upright also?
Wonky air cells will make them get into all sorts of weird contorted positions, none which usually hatch properly
Incubated upright in an auto-turner and then hatched upright in an egg carton. :( Two hatchlings went in the brooder this morning to finish fluffing up. The other 4 are sitting tight till I am sure they have absorbed everything.

Incubated upright in an auto-turner and then hatched upright in an egg carton.
sad.png
Two hatchlings went in the brooder this morning to finish fluffing up. The other 4 are sitting tight till I am sure they have absorbed everything.

Well you have done all you can do to give them the best chance of hatching. Don't be hard on yourself.

Hi everybody!! I have 6 Silkie eggs in my mini Eco for my first hatch!! They are due on the 21st, we have candled once and I am agin tonight!:) so exciting!! They all seemed to be developing when candled, I hope to see even more today. The humidity outside is about 80% which is sweltering); and has made it very difficult to keep the bator steady. I'm using a humidor/therm plus the one therm that came with. Any advice on keeping the humidity more constant? At night it's not as bad but the day time is horrible with all the thunderstorms coming and going. I am so happy to see this thread, and know I'm not alone lol!! Good luck everyone!!

I have silkies due the 21st as well! We will be hatching our fur babies at the same time. As for the humidity during the first 18 days, I just monitor it daily and if it begins to decrease I use a tube and syringe to fill the one reservoir. Once I am in lockdown I place a rag on the floor of the incubator, dipping down into the water wells, fill both water wells and wet the rage thoroughly. I lay one of the no-slip drawer pads were the eggs will lay so they have a soft yet grip area to walk on after they hatch, this will also hold a little water. I add a few pieces of cello sponges that are full of water too. This all helps to really get that humidity up for hatch time. I monitor this humidity several times a day and add water to the sponges thru the vent hole as needed,

Good luck with your hatch!

I keep my humidity between 45-55% the first 18 days then bump it up to 65-75% during lockdown (with the vent open wide). During lockdown if the humidity drops below 70% that is when I add more water to my sponges. I have noticed that if you add hot water the humidity and temp will spike, cold water and it will dip. It always regulates itself within a short time either way. I keep my distiller water jug at room temp.

Last edited:
Theres so many posts I want to reply to but it'll have to wait intil I'm on my computer. To much of a pain on my phone. :) So I went home to check on Pip on lunch. Still no fluffy butt however her pip hole is much bigger and I saw another pipper! :woot Maybe I'll get lucky and when I get home tonight I'll have 2 fluffy chickies.

Theres so many posts I want to reply to but it'll have to wait intil I'm on my computer. To much of a pain on my phone.
smile.png
So I went home to check on Pip on lunch. Still no fluffy butt however her pip hole is much bigger and I saw another pipper!
woot.gif
Maybe I'll get lucky and when I get home tonight I'll have 2 fluffy chickies.
fl.gif

I've got 10 silkies in the baror due next thu or fri. Then another 13 that my 2 silkie hens decided to go broody on. And those are due the 22nd! The lady I got the silkies from keeps her humidity at 60-54% so that's what I've done. Seems to be doing ok... I've only had one bad egg thus far due to a blood ring. I'm on day 14 for the bator and I'm a newbie at both eggs in bator & under silkies. As theirs hatch I plan to add the ones from the bator since they'll only be 1 week apart. I'm just scared they wont recognize them as their own. I wonder if I will have to increase the humidity yet again during lockdown to 70-75%. My level is currently at 65% and I haven't had to add water in 3-4 days. It's been pretty consistent. But I'll try that rag idea when lockdown comes next week.

Back
Top Bottom