August Hatch-A-Long!

The movement you see if the chick getting in position to hatch. They will move, wiggle till they are comfortable. Some dont move at all, they are happy with the position they are in. Then the chick will get very quiet. I wait till day 23 before I do anything. Then candle and do a float test. These last days are the hardest. You need 3 things when hatching. A friend, chair and rope. The friend to tie you to the chair with the rope! LOL Just let it do it's thing!
Very good.sooo true.....................
yuckyuck.gif

Thanks for the advise. Aren't the eggs suppose to move at day19? Can you open up the incubator at lockdown to add more water to raise humidity?
I rarely see movement.......(.I don't know, maybe they wait until I am not looking ).just kidding
but I rarely see it. Concerning the water... is your humidity low??????? I have a piece of tubing (like for a fish tank) that I put through
the vent hole to add water..............
If you have to open to refill water....do not do it if you have a pip...can cause the membrane to shrink wrap around the chick.

I also use a rag on the floor of the incubator dipped down in the water wells. I still need the sponges as well to get the humidity up where i need it.

Does Mulit quote function only store messages for a set time? I know I had more quotes I wanted to reply to but it takes a while to get thru 70+ messages.
I think it can take several hours (like up to 12) for some pippers to unzip so you shouldn't have to worry while you are at work.
I tried the sponges last hatch and had a hard time getting the humidity up as high as I did when I used paper towels across the floor. Added bonus, no worries about aiming for a sponge. I'm going to try sponges again, but this time I'm going to be able to fill the entire bottom Iwi
th water (except center) because I added straws to the holes and put a barrier of hot glue so air still can get in, but hopefully water won't get out.

I put 40+ eggs in the incubator last night (then had a storm roll thru and the power went out for several hours (it rarely happens at my place but if it had to happen during incubation, then I couldn't ask for a better time to have the temp drop since they only just went in, although I was a little worried about my week old chicks but knew if they could find each other in the dark then they'd huddle together for warmth)). Therefore, I'm joining those of you that just put in eggs again for an August hatch. I think I also have a broody d'uccle. If she stays today (three days of me seeing her on the nest), I'll mark the eggs she is on and depending on how many she's got, might give her two or three more. I have my incubator filled with half d'uccle (25) and half easter egger (18). The roosters are gone so no matter how this hatch turns out, it will be my last attempt this year. Of the EE eggs, I found out that one of my pullets started laying eggs the same size as my hen, and they are green (I was just putting the eggs aside assuming the larger blue were from my hen and the smaller blue from my pullets but the blue eggs wouldn't suddenly turn green so it has to be one of my new layers after all.) Can't see in the green eggs so hopefully I'll be able to see development (or see for certain if no development) because I don't know if the rooster fertilized her or not.

CG

Im with you here..i have one egg im waiting to hatch then no more hatching until 8/21 when my silkie eggs are due. Of course this doesnt include the 15 day old silkies that are due to be delivered by friday morning. he he!
Send pics of the cute little ones when they arrive.
I think I was spoiled with the other hatching 1 & 2 days early. These are the late ones. I just hope they are okay.

It might be three strikes your for me. Stared with 6, after candling at day 15, I had two not fertile, three early deaths, and one still in the running. I had to move the incubator to a different location, but it took a about 2 minutes. The egged rolled a little. It is now day 19, no piping and I don't notice any movement. This is the last one at bat and it has two strikes and three balls. I am hoping for a home run. This is my first time, I don't know what to expect or when to give up. Am I suppose to be seeing movement, piping, or hearing them chirp on day 19? How many days do I wait before I give up?
at day 19 you could get a pip but not necessarily.....and just before they do pip the get very still...relaxing for the hard work...don't give up at all...way to early for that...come on chickies!!
fl.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom