August Hatch-A-Long!

Here's our 1st baby!!!
love.gif
Awwww... So adorable! :)

Tomorrow my Croad Langshans are due to hatch. There are 13 in lockdown from the original 15, 3 white, 4 black and 6 blue. It took so long to find someone with the plum color eggs. They were shipped but these were packed so well, that I think there's a good chance for a decent hatch. So far temps and humidity humidity have been great. All of my practice has been for these and my Isbars hatching later. I'm nervous. And excited. I have babied these.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

So sad. I spoke too soon. I now only have 2 chicks
sad.png
. I was wondering where the 3rd chickie was but I figured it was under one of the mommas. When I went to clean out the nest I noticed a bunch of ants on a lumpy mass. Upon further observation I realized it was the missing chick.
hit.gif
. I ran in to get my spray and plastic bag for the chick and I heard both mommas realize it was their baby and heard shrieking- chicken version. I saw my rooster attempt to save the day but the door was locked. Everyone was so upset. I removed the chick and they all settled down but oh- the poor baby. Head all eaten up. Idk how it got in that spot. Very weird.

So sad. I spoke too soon. I now only have 2 chicks
sad.png
. I was wondering where the 3rd chickie was but I figured it was under one of the mommas. When I went to clean out the nest I noticed a bunch of ants on a lumpy mass. Upon further observation I realized it was the missing chick.
hit.gif
. I ran in to get my spray and plastic bag for the chick and I heard both mommas realize it was their baby and heard shrieking- chicken version. I saw my rooster attempt to save the day but the door was locked. Everyone was so upset. I removed the chick and they all settled down but oh- the poor baby. Head all eaten up. Idk how it got in that spot. Very weird.
sounds like a creature go it! I'm so sorry!
hugs.gif

your mamas sure have had a rough go! usually the mamas are the best way to raise chicks!!

I really wanted a Wyandotte to add to my little flock but couldn't find any within reasonable travelling distance..so I decided to try hatching my own from shipped eggs. Got 6 eggs & 4 hatches from those so I,m thrilled....just keeping my fingers crossed at least a couple are pullets as we can,t keep Roos here
sad.png
Wyandottes can successfully be sexed at 24 to 48 hrs.. Working on my first sup if coffee so brain is not plugged in yet.
Sexed by pulling out the little wing and looking to see if the feathers are even and strait or uneven...........I think the even is boy......
Will look it up real quick and get back to you.or go to search and enter feather sexing. I breed wyn's , you would think I could remember...
gig.gif

This getting old is the pits......Congratulations on your hatch and
welcome-byc.gif
.I see you are new.

Not all breeds can be feather sexed. Females should have uneven wing feathers(like picture #1), and males are even(like picture #2). You need to do it between days 1-3, and it's not 100% accurate.
I really wanted a Wyandotte to add to my little flock but couldn't find any within reasonable travelling distance..so I decided to try hatching my own from shipped eggs. Got 6 eggs & 4 hatches from those so I,m thrilled....just keeping my fingers crossed at least a couple are pullets as we can,t keep Roos here
sad.png

Last edited:
Thanks..I did look at the wings but being new to all this wasn't sure if the wing sexing applied to wyandottes.....I have 3 with staggered tips one with long but all the same length tips :)

I think one is a SLW possibly 2 GLW although one is a lot darker fluff and has brown legs whereas the other has pale legs and the final one I think is a black but it's wing feathers are kinda grey then a little white with black at the ends, not solid black.

My other chooks I got a POL so I missed all these changes :)
I can't believe how fast they grow

Last edited:
I
sounds like a creature go it! I'm so sorry!
hugs.gif
your mamas sure have had a rough go! usually the mamas are the best way to raise chicks!!
I think there was uneccessary confusion going on. They should have had their own nest but I was new and didn't know. Lots of changes will be made in the future.

Back
Top Bottom