August Hatch Anyone?

Well guess the cats where pulling chicks out of the outside brooder got the splash and one of my lavenders. There was a gap at the bottom of the door I had blocked ,guess they pushed it up and waited for a chick to get close to the spot.
rant.gif
somad.gif
he.gif

This is what is hatching and piping now late but at least doing something.
3 CLB = cream legbars all piping
1 CLB x spike (white leghorn) piping
3 white eggs (leghorns) x WSBEL = white sport cream legbar 2 piping
3 white eggs (white leghorn) x CSBEL = cream legbar 1 hatch zipped upside down 1 piping

OH NO! So sorry for the loss. I have one cat that will do anything ,including climbing onto the roof of our two story house and jumping onto the deck off our bedroom then coming in through the screen which she did last night. I woke up just as she jumped on top of the incubator. Scared the bee jeebers out of me!

That is so maddening to lose them like that but can't go to the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" as it will only drive us nuts!
rant.gif

OH NO! So sorry for the loss. I have one cat that will do anything ,including climbing onto the roof of our two story house and jumping onto the deck off our bedroom then coming in through the screen which she did last night. I woke up just as she jumped on top of the incubator. Scared the bee jeebers out of me!

That is so maddening to lose them like that but can't go to the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" as it will only drive us nuts!
rant.gif
Just have to keep them in a box in the brooder going to try and get more eggs from that breeder since she has great Orps.

Here is my PeaPeeper. I am hoping the companion egg will give up the goods pretty soon so it won't be one Pea amongst the Chickens since I can't even keep it with the chickens and I don't want it imprinted to me
hu.gif
I did not hear the usual "tap" tap" tap" but hopefully it is only because it was resting when I checked. I thought I saw the peaper act like it heard something coming from the shell so that was encouraging. This is almost as nerve wracking as waiting for my puppies when I was still breeding and showing Cocker Spaniels!

Well, I finally gave in and candled the other egg and the air sac had receded to almost half the egg and looks like it is deteriorating to me. No movement either
hit.gif
So cute I always wanted some but they can be so loud. My neighbor has some so I hear them at times.

3 CLB = cream legbars all piping
1 CLB x spike (white leghorn) piping
3 white eggs (leghorns) x WSBEL = white sport cream legbar 2 piping

3 white eggs (white leghorn) x CSBEL = cream legbar 1 hatch zipped upside down 1 piping
Another one hatched both yellow so far

I will have a lot of supper blue egg layers
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ok this is, again, my first try and actually hatched right around 70%.. now I have issues. I'm losing one or two chicks a day.. my 7 year old went out this morning around 7 and found one and I went out around 9 and found one

I'm using a big plastic storage tub, a 250w brooding bulb (temp is between 90-92), feeding them MannaPro chick starter have two nipple waterers..

I did have cedar shavings in there originally, but after the first day removed most of it and replaced with paper towel.

This is getting in my nerves and stressing me out after having so much luck with the hatch.

Ok this is, again, my first try and actually hatched right around 70%.. now I have issues. I'm losing one or two chicks a day.. my 7 year old went out this morning around 7 and found one and I went out around 9 and found one

I'm using a big plastic storage tub, a 250w brooding bulb (temp is between 90-92), feeding them MannaPro chick starter have two nipple waterers..

I did have cedar shavings in there originally, but after the first day removed most of it and replaced with paper towel.

This is getting in my nerves and stressing me out after having so much luck with the hatch.
Well here it is very hot out I use only a 75 watt bulb and at times it is even to hot for that. If they get to hot and can't escape they heat they will die.

Last edited:
Have to edit my hatchers I was interpreting the writing on the eggs wrong.

3 eggs CLB (blue egg) = Crested Cream Legbar all piped

1 egg Spike x CLB (blue egg) = Crested Cream Legbar, different pen (Spike is a Cream Legbar rooster) piped

3 eggs WSBEL (white egg) = super blue egg layer = white sport legbar rooster x white leghorn (will hatch yellow) all three hatched all yellow one had patch of black feathers on leg.

3 eggs CSBEL (white egg) = super blue egg layer = cream legbar rooster x white leghorn 2 piped so far

Back
Top Bottom