August Mystery Egg Swap . . . . . Sign Ups Open!!!!

Lets say I have the following cochins: 1 black rooster, 1 white hen, 1 black hen and 1 gray. Only the black hen is "pure" because black x black = black. Black x white is mixed color. So I could do both 1 pure and 1 mixed

Quote:
I did not know if they meant mixed colors as in....Colombian and Millie Fleur makes a mixed color chick that is not a standard color recognized by the APA, or if they were saying that if your set of 6 eggs contained 2 blacks, 2 blues and 2 chocolates they would be considered a mixed breed.

I guess I will pass as all of my eggs would be out of purebred chickens in standard colors, but by the rules of this swap they would be considered mixed I guess since I cannot guarentee if the eggs will be black or chocolate and blue. Not that it really makes any sense to me as even if they were blue x blue, the chicks would still come out black, blue and splash, but anyway I do not have any interest in mixed breed eggs. Good luck everyone.

So what you are saying is that your birds are penned in such a way as they would still produce APA recognized chicks?

Yes, the rooster is black and the hens were blue, black and chocolate, so every single chick no matter which hen it came from would be either blue, chocolate, or black...all standarized colors. No chance of a "mutt" color.

I actually lost my little chocolate hen that has been laying today. The heat finally claimed its first victim this year. So now all of my eggs would be either black or blue, but the blues would still have 1 black parent and 1 blue parent.

Sorry about your hen. It happens so fast, unless you are there every minute , it happens. I lost a rooster today and I think it was heat too.:-(

Quote:
So what you are saying is that your birds are penned in such a way as they would still produce APA recognized chicks?

Yes, the rooster is black and the hens were blue, black and chocolate, so every single chick no matter which hen it came from would be either blue, chocolate, or black...all standarized colors. No chance of a "mutt" color.

I actually lost my little chocolate hen that has been laying today. The heat finally claimed its first victim this year. So now all of my eggs would be either black or blue, but the blues would still have 1 black parent and 1 blue parent.

I would pm renegaderidgefarm and ask her. I think like you they should be consider pure because they have the b/bl/sp gene aka the andulsian(sp) type gene when it come to that color. I would say they are pure, but I would ask her she is the boss. It would be up to her, but in my opinion I think they would be cosider pure. Now if it was white, blue, buff, mottled and etc. I could see where they would be consider mix, but that is not the case here.

Quote:

I would pm renegaderidgefarm and ask her. I think like you they should be consider pure because they have the b/bl/sp gene aka the andulsian(sp) type gene when it come to that color. I would say they are pure, but I would ask her she is the boss. It would be up to her, but in my opinion I think they would be cosider pure. Now if it was white, blue, buff, mottled and etc. I could see where they would be consider mix, but that is not the case here.

X2

To clear up this mixed color question . . . . .

The mixed color rule is for those crossing colors to give you non-standard colors. If your offspring will result in a recognized breed standard color then it is pure. Such as crossing Splash over Blue or Black would give you Blue. If you have questions about what you are crossing please PM me. If I don't know your breed and the color combo possibilities I will check into it and get back to you.

Quote:
I would consider them pure.. All can be mixed with black and still produce pure showable color
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom