Auracana chick with lump on its head.

Quack and Squeak

Chirping
Jul 1, 2023
Hello everyone.
I've had this issue before with a silkie years ago and just checking if this is an OK thing.
1000022577.jpg

At a first glance it may just look like feathers but I'll put a photo below of one of the others that doesn't have a lump.
1000022578.jpg

I'd be glad if anyone could tell me if they've had it before or if it can harm it. It's perfectly well and healthy outwardly.

It looks to me like the vaulted skull that can happen on chickens with a crest of feathers on their head. That would explain why you also saw it on a Silkie in the past.

What country do you live in?
I live in the USA. Araucanas here are not supposed to have a crest.
But in some other countries Araucanas do have a crest on their heads (same breed name, very different appearance.)

If your Araucanas are crested, then it's probably a a vaulted skull, and probably not a big problem. I've seen some people say it's not a problem at all, and other people say it is a problem because a vaulted skull is weaker at the top, and the odd shape is bad for the chicken's brain. I don't have enough personal knowledge to say whether it is harmful, but I've dissected a few vaulted-skull chickens and they really did have a thin/weak area of skull at the top of the bulge, different than normal chickens.

Back
Top Bottom