Border Collie or Aussie?

• Total voters
They do need work to do! It doesn't have to be sheep or even something formal, but they need to be a part of your life, doing stuff like fetching papers and playing games. They tend to develop rituals and decide certain things have specific rules. Its either cute to you, or super annoying. I usually find it cute. But I am a weirdo. :D

But really, Aussies need brain work, too. Any active working breed does.

True that! I believe ALL dogs are "working dogs" and need a job and job description, even if that job is to mostly lie at your feet and be your constant companion. That job has rules, parameters and expectations, so work with your dog and be sure he understands and complies with them. A responsible dog is a happy dog!

True that! I believe ALL dogs are "working dogs" and need a job and job description, even if that job is to mostly lie at your feet and be your constant companion. That job has rules, parameters and expectations, so work with your dog and be sure he understands and complies with them. A responsible dog is a happy dog!

Exactly!! And I wish more people actually did stuff with their dogs. :(

So many are just locked in crates all day or stuck out in the backyard and ignored and nobody notices these dogs because they’re getting all the best food and shots and everything and not on the streets but they may as well be :/

They do need work to do! It doesn't have to be sheep or even something formal, but they need to be a part of your life, doing stuff like fetching papers and playing games. They tend to develop rituals and decide certain things have specific rules. Its either cute to you, or super annoying. I usually find it cute. But I am a weirdo. :D

But really, Aussies need brain work, too. Any active working breed does.

Good info once again!! Thanks!

My main thing is I’ve always worried I couldn’t handle a BC, that they’d be a bit too intense, and an Aussie would be better, but maybe they’re both pretty intense and/or energetic?

Lol, we got this Sheltie that is "intense." He's coming on to 18 mo old and needs some serious play time every day. We toss a ball for him in the living room and he loves it. Also The Kid does not walk him, he runs him, outside on leash! I'm looking into Invisible Fencing. Other times, like now, the pup lies quietly at my feet or on The Kid's bed, just chillin'. The quiet times are getting longer as the dog learns to settle. Once the fence is installed - and the weather improves - we hope to try some agility exercises!

I guess the bottom line is, pick the breed you like, then pick the pup you like out of the litter. A hyper, intense puppy that chases you and chews on your shoes and gnaws your fingers will have a different personality than a calm, laid-back pup that relaxes when you pet it and roll it on its back, regardless of breed. Every pup is an individual. Then a lot depends on how you raise it. So... it's hard to generalize. I once got the best dog of my life in an unconventional way.

I had found a litter of Golden retrievers for sale. I was ready to do puppy psyche evals when I got there. There were 10 identical puppies and 6 towheaded children under the age of 6. It was madness. In despair I finally asked the children, which is your favorite? I expected 6 different answers. Instead, they all dove into the fray and came up holding a single puppy. "I'll take that one," I said. Best decision I ever made.

Lol, we got this Sheltie that is "intense." He's coming on to 18 mo old and needs some serious play time every day. We toss a ball for him in the living room and he loves it. Also The Kid does not walk him, he runs him, outside on leash! I'm looking into Invisible Fencing. Other times, like now, the pup lies quietly at my feet or on The Kid's bed, just chillin'. The quiet times are getting longer as the dog learns to settle. Once the fence is installed - and the weather improves - we hope to try some agility exercises!

He sounds awesome!! I think agility would be good for him. :D

I think sometimes young dogs in general can be pretty intense for a while. My friend has two Goldens. One is around 5 or 6 and very calm, typical Golden, always has been, was basically trained by 6 months, came from a breeder.

The other is a bit of a wild child, they got her at about 3 or 4 months from some college girl and the dog had already had 2 or 3 owners before them. Was likely a drunken pet shop purchase or something. They found her on Craigslist and the poor dog was in a tiny crate a lot of the time. So not the best upbringing or genetics but she is 2 now and she never quits! LOL

Also super smart and loves to work so a bit of a handful. Luckily they trail run in the woods and stuff all the time and take them but they’re not great with dogs and haven’t really worked on inside manners or an off switch hah should probably be in a working home but she’s also a very anxious dog so probably wouldn’t thrive there either.

We also got a Lab at 18 months old one time from a family who had little kids and were kind of afraid of him and just kept him in the yard, couldn’t handle him. He was a handful at first.

My dad had to hit the tennis ball for at least an hour just to get him somewhat manageable for my mom before he went to work. We were pretty little at the time. And he used a tennis racquet to get it all the way across our huge yard and he’d be going uphill to bring it back over and over and over so not like he just tossed it 2 feet in a backyard. He was hard running/fetching for forever and would go forever too :lau

My grandma hated him because one time he ate her fur coat.

Another time he stole an entire ham of the kitchen counter and we had to go out for dinner that night. :lau

He was drinking water for days after but was fine. :lau

He also used to run off and go roaming and would give you this look as he did it like “screw you” :lau

BUT.

He ended up being the best dog ever. So sweet and gentle. Great dog. Everybody loved him.

Those adolescent years are rough. :lau

I guess the bottom line is, pick the breed you like, then pick the pup you like out of the litter. A hyper, intense puppy that chases you and chews on your shoes and gnaws your fingers will have a different personality than a calm, laid-back pup that relaxes when you pet it and roll it on its back, regardless of breed. Every pup is an individual. Then a lot depends on how you raise it. So... it's hard to generalize. I once got the best dog of my life in an unconventional way.

I had found a litter of Golden retrievers for sale. I was ready to do puppy psyche evals when I got there. There were 10 identical puppies and 6 towheaded children under the age of 6. It was madness. In despair I finally asked the children, which is your favorite? I expected 6 different answers. Instead, they all dove into the fray and came up holding a single puppy. "I'll take that one," I said. Best decision I ever made.

That’s amazing. :love

We picked Gator and he ended up being amazing but there really wasn’t much choice because there were only 2 puppies left and he was the only boy and my brothers really wanted a boy. Also the girl left and roamed around outside and he stayed inside with us and wanted attention. We ended up letting another family take the girl because they were getting another puppy and those two were inseparable so they took both of them. We ended up with Gator and he was amazing.

But if I did it again, I think I’d probably go to a good breeder and let them match me with a puppy. I figure they know best after having raised them.

Although if I go with a BC I think you probably usually pick your own with the working ones?

This Golden we got was a lunatic at first and DH was on the way to making him worse, bring him in the house and playing rough and rowdy with him. The dog weighed 93 # at maturity and probably 60 at 3 mo, and was sending furniture flying. I grabbed DH by the throat and told him SIT. STAY. Don't move till I tell you to! I let the dog in, let him run a few laps, and when he stopped to take breath I said Good boy (to DH, lol) NOW you can pet him! CALMLY. Soon the dog came in and dropped at DH's feet to be petted. That was the best trained dog I ever had, but I never did get that DH trained very well.

This Golden we got was a lunatic at first and DH was on the way to making him worse, bring him in the house and playing rough and rowdy with him. The dog weighed 93 # at maturity and probably 60 at 3 mo, and was sending furniture flying. I grabbed DH by the throat and told him SIT. STAY. Don't move till I tell you to! I let the dog in, let him run a few laps, and when he stopped to take breath I said Good boy (to DH, lol) NOW you can pet him! CALMLY. Soon the dog came in and dropped at DH's feet to be petted. That was the best trained dog I ever had, but I never did get that DH trained very well.

:lau:gig:lau

That's amazing!!!

My dad and brother are terrible with dogs and always let them do whatever or they’ll let them do one thing then yell at them for it the next :barnie

:lau:gig:lau

That's amazing!!!

My dad and brother are terrible with dogs and always let them do whatever or they’ll let them do one thing then yell at them for it the next :barnie

Dogs are like computers. Something is either ok to do or not ok. Always or never. Getting that through to humans is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom