Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Mhardy62

Mhardy62 Out Of The Brooder

So hot, we pretty much cooked our African Cichlids (fish tank). Quick drive to the closest service station for a bag of ice to sove in the tank. Hoping we were able to save a couple of them. Chooks and dogs surviving ok though.

2. Karen Whitfield

Karen Whitfield Chillin' With My Peeps

only want a rather small one.

3. qldchook

qldchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Hi All, I feel so sorry for all of you that are facing this heat. I think you are doing well keeping yourselves and all your 2 & 4 legged family alive! In FNQ it is pretty normal, the rain has started so we will all be living in bog for months but certainly can't complain. Can anyone who knows talk to me about FIVE TOES. Is this indicitive of Silkie x? Do all Silkies have those double toes? Sorry, I am really ignorant about this toe thing.

One of my new frizzles which are (I think) from pekin(cochin) x silkie stock has the double toe thing.
    My previous frizzles were from 90% Pekin & these ones are very different looking. They have tails that are far more distinct. Can anyone post frizzle photos so I can do a comparison.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It is getting pretty hot here but feels like a storm coming.
    Silkies are supposed to have 5 toes although I have seen some with 4 and even 6, which are of course DQ in the show ring.
    Search ' frizzle ' in the search bar, I'm sure there must be a thread on this site.

5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Ah yes, so nice to be able to have diversity in your flock. Do you have acreage?

6. Karen Whitfield

Karen Whitfield Chillin' With My Peeps

6 of our own and use of 6 of the neighbours. We have had this property for 12 years but we used it as our holiday house. Since semi retiring start of 2013 we decided to come and live here. Our residence is still an old shearing shed that we transformed into a one bedroom house, but this year we are either going to build or renovate into something a little more substantial.

7. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    We have been here for 13 years and our house was not much more than a barn when we started the Reno. My chooks are pretty much contained on 2 acres.
    Wait and see what the new coro are and I may have 2 pullets for sale. The second year layers are laying huge eggs this year.

8. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

1 person likes this.
  9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Yes a 'proper' Silkie is to have five toes.

Good luck Mhardy, hope your animals can hold on for a few more days yet. That's what I'm hearing.

The weather down here is lovely. Nice low - mid 30's.
    I have even managed to get my bator to the magic humidity % [​IMG].

10. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Just thought I'd share some awesome news!
    Wilma has just layed her 4th egg [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And my other chicke Henriette just layed her first Egg today [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by