Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Yeah the chooks would love that. They peck at my earrings and the chicks will have a go at the engagement ring. Diamonds and pearls mean nothing to them, just feed me!!!!! I have been known to visit the coops in my finery and gumboots but only when I'm pushed for time and were heading to town.

2. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm telling you it was the rain dance I told you to perform!

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    :yuckyuck

:lau

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    The old time farmers out here say if you see black cockatoos land in a tree in your yard rain is on the way. I had 8 land in a gumtree near the chook pen yesterday morning.

1 person likes this.
  5. megacakes

megacakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    I popped into work on Wednesday and yay...chooks still with us! The boss is now talking about a second coop, so I'm going to try to convince her to get some other breeds rather than just Isas. Good layers, but they aren't that friendly. What sorts of breeds would you guys suggest for a school situation? Something friendly and hardy, egg production not so important.
    One discovery that we've made is that chickens LOVE cicada shells. One of the teacher's children were at work with her, and collected a container full from the trees and equipment around the playground. When we gave them to the chickens, they went nuts! We decided they must be the chook equivalent of jelly babies!

I went ahead and ordered the automatic door from Wagner's Poultry....gosh I hope it works!

Oh...one other thing. I think my chickens have mites. This was discovered when I went out to feed them and must have rested my head somewhere because when I got back inside, I realised they were all over ME! Now I seem to be covered in tiny, red bites. Can I blame the chickens for this, or the cat (fleas?)? What's the best remedy? Every morning I wake up with more bites, wheras my husband hasn't been bitten at all!

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I was told they have to pass over and change direction, fly back over, then it's gonna rain.
    We see lots of them. There are some native trees on the riverbank that they bring their young to each spring.

7. TheChookPatch

TheChookPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Is that why it always rains here?

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Clean out the pens and remove all bedding and nesting materials. Dust each chickens with dust. I use pestene but there are other brands as well. Repeat in 7 days

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia

If you wanna go bantams. I would go Belgium D Uccles or pekins. Both great with kids. Large fowl I would go with either welsummers or Australorps.. Both tolerate my little nephews carting them around .

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    lol could be. Who am I to argue with the old farmers lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by