Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

but wouldn't the broody go bezerk if a snake came in or even a rat. I will keep an eye on things and see if any more go missing.
I agree with Satay. At night a chook is pretty useless, anyone can take anything. I would also suspect, snake, rat or goanna. Have you checked around and under everything in her area really well for predators or signs of them? If you send us a pic I am sure Satay or I could offer some advice? Good luck.

I agree with Satay. At night a chook is pretty useless, anyone can take anything. I would also suspect, snake, rat or goanna. Have you checked around and under everything in her area really well for predators or signs of them? If you send us a pic I am sure Satay or I could offer some advice? Good luck.

O.K so its coming up to the second night after the lost eggs, if more are gone tomorrow i will act asap and get some much needed help from you guys and BYC, but Ive locked her off from the rest of the flock and have made the cage as predator proof as possible, so well just have to see how things go
fl.gif

I agree with Satay. At night a chook is pretty useless, anyone can take anything. I would also suspect, snake, rat or goanna. Have you checked around and under everything in her area really well for predators or signs of them? If you send us a pic I am sure Satay or I could offer some advice? Good luck.

Lost alot of duck eggs last year to goannas and darn crows.

Sorry to break into other conversations. Just had to let everybody know, I'm a chook nanna. 14 yo son went to feed chooks this morning and discovered the lorp thats sitting has hatched at least one chick. Maybe the roosters arent so bad. Will be interesting to see what it grows up like. Cross silkie bantam and lorp standard. hmmmmm. Hopefully one or two of the other three will hatch as well.

Now comes the questions. Do I need to build a protection cage within the chook house for the babies to keep the other chooks or roosters from hassling them. What do I feed them or will mamma look after that. Will they need a low water container or will mamma look after that too. Never had babies before.

Sorry to break  into other conversations. Just had to let everybody know, I'm a chook nanna. 14 yo son went to feed chooks this morning and discovered the lorp thats sitting has hatched at least one chick.  Maybe the roosters arent so bad.  Will be interesting to see what it grows up like. Cross silkie bantam and lorp standard. hmmmmm. Hopefully one or two of the other three will hatch as well.

Now comes the questions. Do I need to build a protection cage within the chook house for the babies to keep the other chooks or roosters from hassling them. What do I feed them or will mamma look after that. Will they need a low water container or will mamma look after that too.  Never had babies before.

Congrats on the babies. I don't seperate my babies from the rest of the flock but mine have a 1/4 acres pen and 2 acres to free range. I would keep an eye on them when mum brings the babies out. If you see any problems seperate them. You can buy Chick starter from your produce store mum and babies can both eat it. I use small waterers that you can also get from your produce/pet store for the babies as well. We love babies so pics of your new little ones would be great too :)

Separating will cause issues later one when you want your flock as one again. If you only have one rooster then you should be ok. It's when there are more than one roo it's hard as they will kill someone else's offspring

Back
Top Bottom