Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Fancy, my understanding is that it's beneficial to have a slight amount of the cocci present, that way it keeps up the natural defense, which only lasts for a few months after the bird has gotten better by itself. If the bird is constantly exposed to a small amount, it keeps up the immune system's ability to resist cocci. But with this approach you do have to cull individuals that clearly aren't going to make it.

Fancy, my understanding is that it's beneficial to have a slight amount of the cocci present, that way it keeps up the natural defense, which only lasts for a few months after the bird has gotten better by itself. If the bird is constantly exposed to a small amount, it keeps up the immune system's ability to resist cocci. But with this approach you do have to cull individuals that clearly aren't going to make it. 

When they are exposed to moderate amounts of the ocysts they build some immunity. Which is why I introduce chicks to the soil at 2 weeks of age but once you have a full blown outbreak we are talking thousands of ocysts and drugs are the only answer. Remember that amprolium is a thiamine analog , it actually blocks the thiamine rendering the cocci unable to feed and there by starving it.
For me it's a ' no brainier ' , I keep amprolium in my first aid box. If I see symptoms , I treat.

Yeah, you have a slightly different approach as well. If I was breeding, it would be quite devastating to risk loosing all of the hard work that improving your birds takes. In our case, it's just a bit of a hobby that produces eggs to eat, any chicken would do really. So since it's mainly a food source, we try to keep medication out of it. I wouldn't have a problem addressing wounds and other things that can be fixed without big guns, but I don't think we will ever use antibiotics or other medicines. Also, we have one advantage over you, our climate. It's a lot harder for the eggs to develop in the soil here than it is over there.

Fancy - I'm getting my germ kit ready for spring/summer. I've found oxymav B which is a broad spectrum antibiotic just to have for emergencies. In the description, it only talks about ornamental fowl so I'm not sure if this is something I should get for chooks or what withholding period there would be if I need to use it. It's on the littlevalley poultry site.

Yeah that's true, but any ground that is continuously subject to fowl will eventually be subject to disease, that's just the nature of the beast.
Climate and moisture definately play their part.

http://mikethechickenvet.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/spring-is-coming-so-is-coccidiosis/

That's an interesting read. I have a good size area they use as a run but they use it all, all the time. Think I'm going to start rotating their areas. How long do you think it's a good idea to leave an area chicken free?

I've also got a real wet area down near my vege garden that they love because that's where the compost is, time to make that off limits till it dries up after reading that.

Fancy - I'm getting my germ kit ready for spring/summer.  I've found oxymav B which is a broad spectrum antibiotic just to have for emergencies.  In the description, it only talks about ornamental fowl so I'm not sure if this is something I should get for chooks or what withholding period there would be if I need to use it.  It's on the littlevalley poultry site.

Oxytetracycline hydrochloride as with any antibiotics aren't recommended for use in birds used for meat or eggs. When I took a roo to the avian vet he sent me home with ' Trimidine ' it's a sulfadimidine based antibiotic, cost me $60 for 250g. On my way out the receptionist gave me a notice , stating that I had been informed that eggs and meat were not deemed safe for human consumption . Baytril is a perfect example , it has been over used in poultry production and scientist are now finding that it is causing antibiotic resistance in humans, so much so that it is now banned in the US.
Keep in mind that most likely anyone that has ever eaten ' store bought ' eggs will probably have already had their fair share of ' second hand ' antibiotics.
I keep antibiotics in my first aid and will use them if I have to but that is an individual choice.
I keep this med chart bookmarked, it gives the US brand names and active ingredients for comparison.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

That's an interesting read. I have a good size area they use as a run but they use it all, all the time. Think I'm going to start rotating their areas. How long do you think it's a good idea to leave an area chicken free?

I've also got a real wet area down near my vege garden that they love because that's where the compost is, time to make that off limits till it dries up after reading that.

Wet areas are a real worry. I got hubby to cut me billets or rounds of logs about half a foot high. I put the feeders on top just to keep them off the ground.
Being as the Protozoa don't survive extreme weather conditions , climate and cleanliness seem to play a key role.

I don't think it's squeamishness, just a decision of what kind of husbandry you wish to practice. But I do believe loose distribution of antibiotics is an issue, people should familiarize themselves with medications before taking them into use, especially when self medicating (which I'm not a fan of).

Back
Top Bottom