Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

This is another chick I got from a breeder that hatched from a green egg, both parents were blue araucanas.
will she lay green eggs, I've also got another black one who is also 10 weeks and from the same breeder that is pure black and hatched from a green egg, she looks identical to my hen in the previous posts, just 10 weeks younger.

This is another chick I got from a breeder that hatched from a green egg, both parents were blue araucanas.
will she lay green eggs, I've also got another black one who is also 10 weeks and from the same breeder that is pure black and hatched from a green egg, she looks identical to my hen in the previous posts, just 10 weeks younger.
Again, the blue gene is dominant, so you only need one copy. If at least one parent has both copies, 100% chance for the blue gene (add some brown in there and you get the greens), if both parents have one gene, 75% chance, if only one parent has one, 50% chance, and if neither parent has any of the blue genes, you don't get the blue gene in the offspring either, of course.

I guess I never really thought past the fact they are wearing nappies to the nitty gritty lol. So you have to keep buying replaceable liners for them? That must get expensive at the rate they poop?
Well this is only for a few days for me. I suppose with people who have strictly indoor chickens that is absolutely the case, constantly buying liners for them. With me, I've just got her inside for a few days to treat and keep an eye on bumblefoot. I treated her once but I couldn't keep her wound clean and it's worse again. I figure that keeping her inside (she's a super docile/cuddly chicken so she's well suited to it) was ideal.

You can use all sorts of things for the absorbent pad in the nappy like paper towels and folded up bits of fabric. I could use the same technique I use to make fabric menstrual pads and make reusable microfibre inserts for them if I felt really motivated and this were long term.

We had a new chick this morning. This makes six alive (so far), two dead and 11 remaining eggs left to hatch.

Well this is only for a few days for me.  I suppose with people who have strictly indoor chickens that is absolutely the case, constantly buying liners for them.  With me, I've just got her inside for a few days to treat and keep an eye on bumblefoot.  I treated her once but I couldn't keep her wound clean and it's worse again.  I figure that keeping her inside (she's a super docile/cuddly chicken so she's well suited to it) was ideal.

A little advice, if you can allow her and the others some backyard lawn time together each day where you won't have to worry too much about it getting dirty I would do that as well. We kept one inside for three days with the chook version of an asthma attack (not really but sounded like it ) and after just three days totally apart her flock mates who she had hatched and always been with pecked the heck out of her and she moved right to the bottom of the pecking order. She never really got included back into their little group again how she had been. So it's important that she still spends some time with them each day so she doesn't loose her place in the flock.

Last edited:
A little advice, if you can allow her and the others some backyard lawn time together each day where you won't have to worry too much about it getting dirty I would do that as well. We kept one inside for three days with the chook version of an asthma attack (not really but sounded like it ) and after just three days totally apart her flock mates who she had hatched and always been with pecked the heck out of her and she moved right to the bottom of the pecking order. She never really got included back into their little group again how she had been. So it's important that she still spends some time with them each day so she doesn't loose her place in the flock.
I think I'm going to have to do this either way because she looks PAINFULLY bored. She's already absolute bottom of the pecking order, already abused terribly so I'm not sure how much worse it can get for her. XD

Just lost my Wyandotte to heat stroke. :(
Stupid me didn't secure the shade well enough and it blew off, right in the middle of the day. The others are all recovering ok but she was unconscious.

Back
Top Bottom