Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Sidhe13 - great that your cat is on the mend! I look forward to a few chick pics tomorrow.
jumpy.gif

Wow Teila! Is Dusty all embarrased? I can't imagine how many feathers you have in your yard. We have pillows full and my chooks still don't have bare patches, much to my daughters disappointment.

My two pullets, Pearl and Sprinkles, will be 22 weeks old tomorrow and still no blue egg.

I use a mixture of 2 cups water, 1 cup cooking oil with a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle for lice in their coops .
It seems to work ok if you spray regularly .
My 2 Araucana bantams (with scissor beaks) came with leg mites which were very hard to cure until I used invermectin drops on their necks .
Luckily they were isolated in a different coop and they did not spread .
I also dusted them for their body lice with cat flea powder which worked a treat .
I will check more carefully when taking on more chickens with special needs .
The lady that had them did not realise that with their twisted beaks they could not pick up the seed that she just threw on the ground to them with all her other chooks .
They were starving !!!
Together they hatched 2 Naked Necks and have gone back to laying 1 blue egg and 1 green egg again .

you can also use sevin dust...five percent and put some into a gallon sprayer and spray the birds directly and the coop and the nest boxes...i would do this once a day for a week straight...the ivermectin works great as well...you can also give them a drop in their mouth as well....hope this helps....
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart
this is a great website for many questions and they talk about mites as well....best of luck

Sidhe13 - great that your cat is on the mend!  I look forward to a few chick pics tomorrow.  :jumpy

Wow Teila!  Is Dusty all embarrased?  I can't imagine how many feathers you have in your yard.  We have pillows full and my chooks still don't have bare patches, much to my daughters disappointment.

My two pullets, Pearl and Sprinkles, will be 22 weeks old tomorrow and still no blue egg. 

Mine were about 7 to 8 months I think to lay.

Last edited:
Day 21....cmon babies!!
I am sooo nervous and excited! We have the kids this weekend too so that adds to the excitement! We had a wee talk about how if the touch anything or open the lid the babies will die. Sure, a quick flick open to refill the water isn't actually gonna kill them, but with kids it's often easier to just stick to the extremes.

Had to take the cat to the vet today. She slipped on the tin fence a few days ago and cut her foot and belly. The belly wound had red streaks today...sooo not a bill i need right now but worth it. She was so good...didn't bite the vet, even with needles and thermometers being jabbed in her! And purred and smooched and walked AROUND NOT ON the keyboard while she was typing...little suck up! A big antibiotic dose and some painkillers and she is already feeling better! She punched a massive hole (with one hit) in the side of the cardboard box we had her in...the ate though the other side too. So we bought a cat cage for the return trip home...

Hope you have a great hatch :)

Howdy Folks :frow Beautiful Maran photos Luke. K Spot I am pleased to read that your Dad is improving. Your BR pullet is adorable. Howdy uchytil and welcome to the thread; hopefully soon I will be able to say welcome to the country also. :frow Welcome also lamiel. :frow Sidhe13 you must be very close now? I am going to Pass on the whole subject of snakes and lice! :oops: But both topics made interesting reading. In Bambrook Bantam news … Cilla is on Day 17! My poor baby girl Dusty is molting. Dusty normally looks like this (February 2015) : This is Dusty today .. poor baby! :(
OH poor dusty. She does look some what like a feather duster at the moment.

Morning Folks
frow.gif

Sidhe13 I am glad it is the weekend and I am not working, that means I can check back throughout the day for the good news!
fl.gif

Aaaaw, you poor puddy cat.

Chimee has to make another trip to the Vet next weekend for her wellness check up and vaccination/worming. After already having to endure an emergency visit to the Vet this year due to her gastro problem a few weeks back, I am sure her response to my mentioning “must remember to make your appointment at the Vet” was “Let’s not and say we did!”.

So, this morning, rolled out of bed, hubby had gotten up before me and mentioned “They are all patiently awaiting their breakfast, including Badger”. Now, I had been awake less than a minute at this point and while my eyes were open my brain was still booting up.

The thought process was something like this .. Badger? Who is Badger? [does not compute; disregard] … Black and White? [does not compute, disregard] … Bald as a [connection made, respond]

“Dusty! Surely she can’t look any worse than yesterday” … Bzzt, wrong answer.

Anyone see the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns’ teddy bear Bobo, goes missing and Maggie finds him many years later, looking a bit worse for wear? I do believe that Dusty saw that episode and has aspirations of being Bobo’s body double!

Cwrite yep, we have black feathers as far as the eye can see .. black feathers in the water container, black feathers on the lawn, black feathers stuck to the fence, black feathers on the deck, black feathers in the fish pond etc.

About the only place we do not have black feathers is on the black chicken!!

Morning Folks :frow

Sidhe13 I am glad it is the weekend and I am not working, that means I can check back throughout the day for the good news! :fl

Aaaaw, you poor puddy cat.

Chimee has to make another trip to the Vet next weekend for her wellness check up and vaccination/worming.  After already having to endure an emergency visit to the Vet this year due to her gastro problem a few weeks back, I am sure her response to my mentioning “must remember to make your appointment at the Vet” was “Let’s not and say we did!”.

So, this morning, rolled out of bed, hubby had gotten up before me and mentioned “They are all patiently awaiting their breakfast, including Badger”.  Now, I had been awake less than a minute at this point and while my eyes were open my brain was still booting up.

The thought process was something like this .. Badger?  Who is Badger? [does not compute; disregard] … Black and White? [does not compute, disregard] … Bald as a [connection made, respond]

“Dusty!  Surely she can’t look any worse than yesterday” …  Bzzt, wrong answer.

Anyone see the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns’ teddy bear Bobo, goes missing and Maggie finds him many years later, looking a bit worse for wear?  I do believe that Dusty saw that episode and has aspirations of being Bobo’s body double!

Cwrite yep, we have black feathers as far as the eye can see .. black feathers in the water container, black feathers on the lawn, black feathers stuck to the fence, black feathers on the deck, black feathers in the fish pond etc. 

About the only place we do not have black feathers is on the black chicken!!

:lau. I have so many feathers on the yard that I still have to convince my non chicky friends the dogs haven't attacked and killed one.

lau.gif
. I have so many feathers on the yard that I still have to convince my non chicky friends the dogs haven't attacked and killed one.

lau.gif

The lawn kinda looks like it has been land mined in that land mines have been buried, and unsuspecting small black birds land on them and explode.

I watched a documentary on crop circles last night. We have feather circles!

Back
Top Bottom