Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

CWrite my ara's took 8 mths to lay
ep.gif
I'm not sure I have that much patience. I'm slightly concerned about Sprinkles as I have heard someone titbitting. Pearl has developed the ugliest voice to contrast with how pretty she is, but Sprinkles hasn't found her voice yet. She has a very red comb too now.

We redid the roosts in the coop today. I'm using the royal we here because I had to study
big_smile.png
so hubby made the new roosts how I wanted them and I painted and installed them. They look fantastic. It would have looked even better if one of my kids had taken up my offer of pocket money to give the walls a quick scrub, but no takers there. Anyway, I can see the tunnel entrance to the coop from here and I'm amusing myself by watching how reluctant the chooks are to go into their coop because it all different.
roll.png
I'm sure they will get over it once it gets really dark.

Teila, Dusty almost looks ready for the pot.
tongue.png

Many thanks Fancychooklady - I have now ordered the Solvita .
My feed was Barastoc chick starter then pullet grower after 6 weeks, plus being free ranged from 3 weeks old, plus the odd treat .
They loved scrambled eggs and porridge .
There were 6 eggs that hatched and this is the only one affected .
I would love to say that it could have been moisture or humidity but where I live in Victoria it has not rained for yonks !!
Living in country Victoria most people keep chooks so the shelf life of the feed is always ok .
I previously bought 7 chickens at 8 weeks old which suffered from rickets and so far have managed to save 4 .
The vet even performed an autopsy on the cockerel that had rickets and she said that the damage would have been done in their initial growth stage .
Because they are mainly all together now I have switched to a multi purpose feed .
I am still looking for more information/suggestions though and am willing to try any remedies .
Cheers .

Thanks for your welcome Teila .
Dusty is certainly going through a good moult .
She looks a bit like my Speckled Sussex BB (short for busybody) at the moment .
Cheers.

Many thanks Fancychooklady - I have now ordered the Solvita .
My feed was Barastoc chick starter then pullet grower after 6 weeks, plus being free ranged from 3 weeks old, plus the odd treat .
They loved scrambled eggs and porridge .
There were 6 eggs that hatched and this is the only one affected .
I would love to say that it could have been moisture or humidity but where I live in Victoria it has not rained for yonks !!
Living in country Victoria most people keep chooks so the shelf life of the feed is always ok .
I previously bought 7 chickens at 8 weeks old which suffered from rickets and so far have managed to save 4 .
The vet even performed an autopsy on the cockerel that had rickets and she said that the damage would have been done in their initial growth stage .
Because they are mainly all together now I have switched to a multi purpose feed .
I am still looking for more information/suggestions though and am willing to try any remedies .
Cheers . 

It sounds like these chicks and probably the parent stock are being fed a completely wrong diet. My advice to you would be to avoid that breeder completely.
Too much protein and or calcium in the young chicks diet can be every bit as harmful as too little.
The phosphorus /calcium ratio is also very important for bone growth.

Yeah, she is doing OK, I am making sure she is getting lots of protein :) It is a bit windy today and they are not enjoying it. Sorry about all the pics of late but I had to share this one; apparently large concrete frogs make good wind breaks! Why do I feel like breaking into a rendition of Sesame Street's 'One of these things is not like the others' .. lol
Such a sweet picture :)

I had another lesson to learn from animals today. We have a 13 year old cat that was sleeping on the arm of the chair. I sat down and moved my arm onto the side of the chair where he was sitting. Bad move. He over balanced and started to fall and one can only imagine, my poor arm now looks like I have a severe case of the cuttings... Son and I were talking about how I was the only one in the family to never be scratched by the cat last week... ..
:eek:

I sent the breeder a long detailed email explaining all what went on with the chickens .
Maybe they mixed their own feed and had the ratios re calcium and protein etc.
I had a reply and fortunately it was taken in the spirit it was meant .
Because they were into chickens in a big way they hopefully will benefit with the information - I hope so .
cheers .

Back
Top Bottom